Author Topic: Insurance for Balance PT?  (Read 2891 times)

bjhk

Insurance for Balance PT?
« on: January 02, 2022, 12:50:36 pm »
My CK was in April.  August 1 my balance was terrible, so my neurologist RXed PT
2x/week;  it has been renewed several times

Medicare is paying, but PT says at some point they will no longer pay.
There has been some improvement but not enough to feel safe

RX renewal is due in 2 weeks, which will be 5.5 months;  and luckily I see my neurologist then. I am sure he will renew, but what Medicare does may be a different story.

donjehle

Re: Insurance for Balance PT?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 05:44:19 am »
Hi bjhk,

Whatever happened with your Medicare?  It has been over a couple months since you last posted this.  Did your neurologist renew your prescription?  Did Medicare pay for it?  And if so, how long did you have?  Are you still receiving PT?  Is it still helping you?  How is your balance now?

I'm waiting for the rest of the story!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bjhk

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 09:34:47 am »
Medicare renewed my balance PT;  then in January an xray showed I have a disk problem in my back, so I started PT for that and continued balance issues at the same time

my final appt was last week; I do exercises at home and use the fitness room for certain equipment

Balance is better, but I still need a walker for long walks; cane for short walks. My goal was to use just a cane, very frustrating

I see my Neurologist in June and hopefully he will prescribe more PT from medicare for Balance

My next MRI is April 25; I talk to the Dr via phone May 9 .

donjehle

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 06:26:37 pm »
Thank you, bjhk, for providing the update on what has been happening lately!

It sounds like your doctor made a referral to a physical therapist who was able to help you with your back as well as your balance.

My neurosurgeon referred me to a vestibular therapist rather than a physical therapist.  He said the vestibular therapists have better understanding of vestibular schwannomas whereas physical therapists focus more on balance issues caused by aging, accidents, etc.  After seeing my vestibular therapist weekly, I was eventually able to walk without my cane.  At my final session, she did an evaluation and said I had better balance than most people my age who don't have acoustic neuromas.

I hope your therapy goes well.  And I hope your MRI goes well, too, in the next two weeks!

Best wishes on your journey!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

bjhk

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 09:29:39 am »
No vestibular PT in our area;
good luck with your issues!
I envy the fact that you don't need a cane.

bjhk

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 08:30:36 am »
I searched for another PT provider ; vestibular, as suggested
Contacted them, they have a machine called Alter G which is an enclosed treadmail

Has anyone tried that?

my current PT said she didn't want me using a treadmill.!
I also have polyneuropathy  so my legs hurt; I only take ibuprofen or tylenol for arthritis as needed.

donjehle

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 04:31:35 pm »
I don't remember the name of the machine my vestibular therapist used, but it was not a treadmill, per se.  It went somewhat around me, and the screen had many different programs including objects that were coming at me which I was supposed to avoid without losing my balance.  The first time I did it, 71 objects hit me, and I avoided only 29.  I also fell 5 times losing my balance completely.  Fortunately, I was hooked to a halter vest with ropes from above.  So, even when I fell, I did not fall far, and I did not hurt myself.

The machine my vestibular therapist used had panels on the floor which could go forward and backwards.  When I stood on these panels, and they lifted my toes and then went back to normal and then lifted my heels, it was challenging to keep my balance.  But week by week I kept improving. The last time I saw the therapist I avoided 100% of the objects coming at me on the screen, and I did not fall one time.  My overall score went from a 28 to an 83 by the time I finished.  That score would not be great for a young person, but it was very good for someone my age.

So, I don't know if it is the same machine your person referred to or not, but if so, I would not call it a treadmill.  It was more hip and ankle movement than like walking on a treadmill.  But the machine was designed for those with vestibular issues, and none of the regular physical therapists I saw had anything like that.  That's why it was well worth it for me to drive over an hour to see the vestibular therapist.  I can walk now without using a cane and without losing my balance.  That was not true before my vestibular therapy.  But, as they say, bjhk, your mileage may vary.

I wish you well in your journey!
Don
No treatment yet.

bjhk

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 11:44:22 am »
Thanks,
 I will check the website again and look at pictures more carefully
alterg.com

This facility is only 10 miles;
How often did you have the PT? and how many weeks/months
 Did they give you home exercises also (which I am doing now)

donjehle

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 06:11:59 pm »
Alter G is something different than what I had.  I am not familiar with it.  I don't know if anyone else from the ANA community is.

I had vestibular therapy once a week, and I was given exercises to do at home, some every day and some 3 or 4 times a week.  The exercises were on an app so I could follow them on the app.  They were also timed.  My vestibular therapist said she would evaluate my progress after a month of therapy.  She told me that I would probably need to come for a month or two, depending upon my faithfulness in doing the exercises at home.  I don't know if that was her evaluation of me and my initial condition or if she says that to all her patients.
No treatment yet.