Author Topic: 3 years after AN removal surgery  (Read 2057 times)

CompassGeorge

3 years after AN removal surgery
« on: December 29, 2021, 11:09:12 am »
I'm sorry that I have done such a poor job of posting after my 2017 surgery to remove a 2.5 cm tumor from my left hearing nerve. But I guess that could be  an indication that my life had somewhat returned to "normal". Last year I made a video documenting my recovery at the 3 year mark of my AN removal which I will link here for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd_0EO4xva0
Now, I know that everyone's experience is different and I want to be sensitive to those who continue to struggle with their recoveries but I also want to assure people that life after being diagnosed with AN can certainly still be productive and rewarding, even for older people like myself (now 67 years old). In fact, it's now been 4+ years since my surgery and this is perhaps one of the most eventful (in a good way) times of my life despite the ongoing pandemic.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 07:31:29 pm by CompassGeorge »

MariettaJoker

Re: 3 years after AN removal surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 06:45:25 am »
CompassGeorge,

Your note is encouraging! I completed my surgery 6 weeks ago and I've also had a wonderful recovery. I've walked 4 miles a day since the day after I got home from surgery and short of some ongoing facial paralysis that is also impacting my right eye, my recovery has been great. I'm a 60 year old in relatively good health and enjoying my recovery. Thanks for sharing your note!
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane" - Jimmy Buffett
Vestibular Schwannoma 2.3 x 2.5 cm. Right side.
Surgical approach was translabyrinthine on 11/30/21 at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, GA.
Total right side hearing lost and facial paralysis on right side
Phonak Audeo CROS-P hearing aids

CompassGeorge

Re: 3 years after AN removal surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:19:50 am »
Hi MariettaJoker, Nice to hear that your recovery seems to be on track. It sounds like you are around the same point of recovery as I was 6 weeks post op. My eye was bothering me at that time since I couldn't fully close it and had to constantly keep it lubricated with eye drops and eye ointment. Your tumor size and your age at the time of surgery were also similar to mine so I am hopeful that you too will fully regain control over your facial movements. In my case, progress was so gradual that I could not notice any improvement from day to day - more like month to month. Continued best wishes to you.