Author Topic: Amazing Recovery from AN surgery!  (Read 2930 times)

MariettaJoker

Amazing Recovery from AN surgery!
« on: December 28, 2021, 02:42:57 pm »
I got very lucky regarding my recent recovery from AN surgery on 11/30/21. While I do have some issues to overcome with facial paralysis and eye issues, my surgery recovery has been great. I was in the hospital for 3 nights total and on day 5 and every day since then, I've walked 3-4 miles daily. Amazingly, I had no dizziness or vertigo post surgery, none at all. I think this is extremely rare.

The hearing was lost as expected in my right ear, but Phonak CROS-P hearing aids have helped a great deal. Facial paralysis and some eye issues related to my right eye not closing continue to be an issue, but I've got some surgery planned to help and I'm hopeful some of the movement might return over time.

I'm happy to share my story for anyone looking down the tunnel at this surgery!
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane" - Jimmy Buffett
Vestibular Schwannoma 2.3 x 2.5 cm. Right side.
Surgical approach was translabyrinthine on 11/30/21 at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, GA.
Total right side hearing lost and facial paralysis on right side
Phonak Audeo CROS-P hearing aids

donjehle

Re: Amazing Recovery from AN surgery!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 11:05:19 am »
Who did your AN surgery at Emory, MariettaJoker?  I consulted with Dr. Mattox there.  I was wondering if it was the same neurosurgeon or if it was someone else.  It is amazing that you had no dizziness or vertigo after your surgery.  If I have surgery at Emory, maybe I could request the same surgeon you had!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

gbly

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 07:19:40 pm »
MariettaJoker,
Congrats that is great news.  You have adapted and that is a huge accomplishment.  Keep working the facial exercises I have seen small changes, and I realize that it will not be fast.

donjehle,
Good luck and keep us posted.
GB

MariettaJoker

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 03:49:10 am »
My two physicians at Emory were Dr. Esther Vivas, MD, and Dr. Gustavo Pradilla, MD, Neurosurgeon. My outcome was outstanding and I do recommend these physicians.
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane" - Jimmy Buffett
Vestibular Schwannoma 2.3 x 2.5 cm. Right side.
Surgical approach was translabyrinthine on 11/30/21 at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, GA.
Total right side hearing lost and facial paralysis on right side
Phonak Audeo CROS-P hearing aids

donjehle

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 02:28:41 pm »
Thank you for those recommendations!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.