Author Topic: Some questions post surgery  (Read 2099 times)

bob_neuroma

Some questions post surgery
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:16:59 pm »
Hello,

After a year waiting and watching I finally had a retrosigmoid surgery two weeks ago. A 3,7cm tumor was greatly reduced leaving some of it on the facial and balance/hearing-nerve that will be monitored later on.

When I woke up post surgery I had a lot of feeling on my right (tumor) side that I had not had for some time. A few days later I felt some pressure and strain on my face that has stayed since. I understood that this is normal? Are there any tips on what I can do/not do do help the healing process?

I had very limited hearing before surgery and the surgeon said that hearing would probably be gone for good but I am not 100% sure it is gone and I will do some hearing tests after three months post op. What are the scenarios here? If the hearing is completely gone (as I expected would happen pre-op) does that mean the hearing/balance nerve was severed?

Another issue is that my right arm is very weak. I have greatly reduced strength and struggle to eat holding spoon/knife with it. Again, is this expected and what kind or exercise/rehab would you suggest?

I'll meet with the doc sometime in the future but I wanted to ask people in here.

Thank you for all the sharing of information.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 05:08:13 am by bob_neuroma »

Greece Lover

Re: Some questions post surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 08:42:12 am »
Hi,

I'm not a doctor, obviously, but here are my thoughts especially based on my surgical experience and recovery and what my doc told me.

Facial issues are pretty common. I had weird sensations and a few weeks of paralyzation.  but it all came back to pretty much normal. My doc gave me steroids to help the facial nerve recover after surgery.  because it's nerves not muscles, I don't think there's much we can do to speed up the healing. Just have to let it happen.

regarding the hearing/balance nerve being severed: It seems to me a lot of times patients don't know this (which surprises me) but the two balance nerves are almost ALWAYS REMOVED as part of this surgery. That's where the tumor grows and they remove them so it doesn't come back. Maybe I"m mis informed about this, but I don't think so.  If they left a sliver on your facial nerve, then that nerve was not cut, but may  have experienced some trauma from the surgery (thus the symptoms you're now having).  The hearing nerve was likely not severed, but it is extremely delicate and it doesn't take much disruption for the hearing to disappear.

Right arm: could be because you're on your side and strapped down during the surgery.  I had a ton of neck soreness and weird body aches afterward.

those are my thoughts.  I wish you good luck in your recovery. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.