Author Topic: Can anyone suggest/recommend surgeons in the UK for AN's?  (Read 2966 times)

ErikWilson

Can anyone suggest/recommend surgeons in the UK for AN's?
« on: November 14, 2021, 04:32:58 pm »
Hi All

My wife was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma last year and has followed the 'watch and wait' strategy till now but unfortunately the tumour is fast growing and her neurologist here in Ireland has advised her to get treatment now rather than wait any longer.  She is of course having real difficulties trying to decide between either radiotherapy or surgery because of the attendant risks associated with both.

As there are really only two surgeons here in Ireland who treat this condition, it would be great to hear from people from the UK on this forum who have been successfully treated and hear any recommendations as to surgeons over there who have the requisite wealth of expertise/experience and who we would benefit from having a consultation with before making such a momentous decision.  Obviously, having a neurosurgeon who has a great deal of experience and success in treating acoustic neuromas is desirable, as well as getting as much expert advice as possible and, therefore, we would definitely look at travelling from Ireland to the UK to help her arrive at a decision.

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give us..

Erik

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Can anyone suggest/recommend surgeons in the UK for AN's?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 07:37:55 pm »
Hi Erik...I'm sorry about your wife's tumor...I wish her the best. I believe this link might get you to resources local to you..are you connected to BANA as well?

https://www.bana-uk.com/search?query=ireland

Stay well.

Marla B.

ErikWilson

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 03:10:54 pm »
Thanks so much Marla, didn't know about BANA till now so thanks for that. Looks like a great resource and support for people.

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 04:27:32 pm »
Wishing you the best of luck and I hope you keep posting here and asking questions as they come up!

Marla