Author Topic: Question About MRI Measurements  (Read 4077 times)

cp76

Question About MRI Measurements
« on: October 18, 2021, 06:19:44 pm »
Hello,

I am a new member to the club, diagnosed a couple weeks ago.  I've done a massive amount of lurking, and have also DM'd with several people.  This site and the people I've contacted have been a massive help.

I had a quick question regarding tumor measurements.  From what I understand, AN's generally are shaped similar to an ice cream cone.  When people state that they have a 2CM tumor, is that just the largest measurement of the three, or is it the diameter of the "ice cream" part of the cone?

So for example, my AN is measured 11 x 6 x 5mm according to the MRI report.  I assume the 11mm would be from the bottom of the cone to the top of the "ice cream", and either the 6 or the 5mm is the diameter of the "ice cream".  Would that generally be correct, and if so, which number are people referring to when they said they have an (x)cm/mm tumor?

Thanks in advance, and as lousy as it is to be here, I'm happy I found it!

Greece Lover

Re: Question About MRI Measurements
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 01:09:07 pm »
It's a good question. I"m not really sure. I was only ever told 1.2 cm. I guess I only live in two dimensions!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

donjehle

Re: Question About MRI Measurements
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 04:17:56 pm »
That is a very good question, cp76.  I also have wondered what the three measurements actually measure.  Maybe someone from the AN Community with more knowledge can answer this question.

Thanks for asking it back in October.
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.