Author Topic: How critical is surgery delay in AN?  (Read 3372 times)

Autumnbird

How critical is surgery delay in AN?
« on: October 07, 2021, 12:21:30 am »
Just joined this forum. Am 47, got diagnosed with medium sized Vestibular Schwannoma (Acoustic Neuroma) left ear (hearing loss, ringing). I had my MRI done in late July this year, saw the doc (Hansen at University of Iowa). My surgery (trans labyrinthine approach) is scheduled for November 8. I am very concerned that so much time has elapsed between MRI, diagnosis and now surgery is one month away. Is there a chance that it might grow and cause further damage in this time while waiting for the surgery. (The staff said surgery can be done sooner only if cancellation happens). Please advise. I am very very nervous. I understand that these are slow growing but will greatly appreciate any input. Thanks
47 yr female
Progressive hearing loss, tinnitus since 2017
AN diagnosis left ear September 2021
1.5 cm width x 2.5 cm length
Translab November 2021
@ Univ of Iowa (Dr Marlan Hansen)
SSD, facial nerve preserved
Recovery slow but steady

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: How critical is surgery delay in AN?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 09:30:28 am »
I completely understand...they are slow-growing AND they will most likely do an MRI right before your surgery. Breathe. Get your body ready for surgery. Eat right. Rest. if you can do some easy balance exercises, do them. November will come soon enough and we'll all be here on the other side. Wishing you the best!

Marla B.

Greece Lover

Re: How critical is surgery delay in AN?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 11:41:39 am »
Autumbird:
So sorry you had to join the club.  But very happy for you that you have Dr. Hansen.  He is the BEST. Great bedside manner and a true expert guru about AN across the world.  Nobody has more experience or better outcomes, so you're in great hands.
I actually asked him a question similar to yours and his answer was that it is very very unlikely that there would be major changes in the tumor in a month-long time Frame.  I even doubt that they'll do another pre-op MRI just because, even if there is a change, it would be so small that they would just see it and adjust during the surgery. 
Your nervousness is totally natural and expected. While recovery is hard, in some ways the run-up to surgery is harder. 
I wish you all the best, and please let me know if you have any other questions, especially as they relate to your care at the University of Iowa.
Greece Lover
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.