Author Topic: Surgery in One Week <3  (Read 3785 times)

amandajoy

Surgery in One Week <3
« on: September 08, 2021, 01:16:28 pm »
Hello ANA Community!

I found this forum a few months ago when I received my AN diagnosis. My doctor recommended surgery sooner rather than later because he said the size of my tumor was right on the cusp for the size that typically corresponds with greater hearing loss. And so far, my hearing loss is not significant. I've only lost high tones and still have great word recognition and can use the phone fairly well. I have had episodes of nausea and dizziness as well.   

So, I've had about a month and a half to prepare for surgery. This is my first major surgery. I'm also type one diabetic, so I've gotten my a1c down to a 6.3 (very happy with this!). I'm exercising an hour a day, eating nourishing and delicious foods, spending time with people I love, practicing clinical hypnosis, working with my therapist, getting massages and a pedicure (let's not talk about the finances right now). I've also been working with all my spiritual tools, rituals and ceremonies and using suggestions from you all (I made a photo collage for the hospital). I've cleaned and organized my house.  I'm relying on my family for post surgery meals. I'm feeling more and more prepared. I'm also scared ****less. That's normal, right?

I just wanted to check in and reach out here for any other suggestions, thoughts, or good vibes y'all have to offer <3

Sincerely,
Amanda Joy
7/16/2021 1.3cm x 1.7cm AN (diagnosed)
8/1993 type 1 diabetic (diagnosed)

alschneid

Re: Surgery in One Week <3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 01:42:37 pm »
Sounds like you are well prepared! I will say one thing that helped me was a shower chair/stool if you don’t already have one. I got mine from Ikea for about $5 and put a non slip mat on the shower floor. It made showering much easier as it was very tiring and challenging to turn around and move about in the shower as I normally would. It’s great that you have help for meals because I didn’t cook for about 2 weeks. We had so many friends and coworkers give us gift cards for grub hub, Uber eats, etc. which was much appreciated! I hope all goes well with your surgery and they’re able to save your hearing!

Greece Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 09:13:49 am »
Sounds like you've got it covered! This is very smart. Now you have to just let go and trust the process. Find a spiritual place and peace of mind. I remember when I first woke up from surgery I first asked to see my wife and then  I had a huge sigh of relief: it's over! Of course, the recovery is tough and not linear.  But the run  up to surgery is maybe the hardest part.  Good luck!

Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

JmLgrace

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 03:51:11 pm »
Hey Amanda!  I too am a T1 diabetic.  Would you mind sharing how your experience with the surgery and hospital went?  I was diagnosed in December with a 2.9 x 2.6 x 2.3cm tumor and seems all the neuros are super busy.  Hoping a schedule will open up soon! 
Blessings to you!