Author Topic: Newly diagnosed and have questions  (Read 1362 times)

CA Marti

Newly diagnosed and have questions
« on: July 01, 2021, 05:32:24 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed in May 2021 with a schwannoma 10.5mm X 8.5mm X 6mm. Its in IAC and partially extends into cerebellopontine angle cistern. My symptoms are hearing loss, tinnitus and new onset unusual tinnitus, some mild twitching under eyes(stress related?)I have had a gradual hearing loss in my right ear for over 15 yrs but I just assumed this was from my otosclerosis.
I do have some appointments with neurosurgeons coming up in July and am working on ones with radiologists, as well as doing lots of research. I have actually two separate ear problems as I also have otosclerosis. I recently had ear surgery, a stapedotomy, on my right ear in November of 2020 for this and gained a lot of hearing, however, exactly 7 weeks after my ear surgery I started noticing new sounds in my right ear then one month later sounds in my good left ear. The sounds were an unsteady buzzing tone in my right ear that is constant now and the sound in my left is a faster fluttering sound that varies in speed and volume. I also have the regular high pitch steady normal tinnitus sound but this is different, like a morse code like arythmic tone in right operated and AN ear. The neurotologist thought it was stapedial myoclonus.

Has anyone out there ever had a stapedectomy surgery and then found an acoustic neuroma afterward? Has anyone had sounds in both ears that are similar to mine? I'm wondering if my surgery caused these symptoms or if the acoustic neuroma symptoms just happened to appear 7 weeks after the surgery. Also, maybe the acoustic neuroma was irritated or something from the surgery caused it to grow? I have asked the ENT and neurotologists but they didn't seem to have any idea if the surgery had anything to do with it. I also have hyperacusis in the operated ear. I know its doubtful that anyone else has had ear surgery for otosclerosis but I thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks so much for all of your posts and help. Your information has been very helpful. I'd appreciate any advice or input you'd like to offer me.

Thank you!

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 06:06:30 pm by CA Marti »
Marti

Diagnosed 5/28/2021 10.5mmX8.5mmX6mm
Next MRI   11/22/2021 10mmX8mmX6mm
MRI           12/9/2022   5mmX6mmX7mm