Author Topic: Gamma Knife Radiosurgery  (Read 1668 times)

CSummer

Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
« on: June 10, 2021, 09:40:37 am »
In March of 2021, I visited my ENT for ear fullness, tinnitus, and diminished hearing in my right ear.  After receiving an MRI, I was officially diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma.  My ENT, neurotologist, and neurosurgeon all recommended that I have brain surgery to remove the tumor.  Because of the vast resources from the ANA, I was encouraged to research gamma knife extensively.  Fortunately, I found an amazing group of doctors in Houston at the Mischer Neuroscience Institute of Memorial Hermann.  I felt that the research showed better post surgical outcomes with gamma knife.  I underwent my procedure on June 4, 2021.  I checked in at 5:00 am and began the process of placing the head frame.  Unfortunately, I had to have 3 MRIs due to machine failure and unclear images.  Because of the MRI issues, I was not able to get my gamma knife procedure until 5:00 pm.  The gamma knife procedure is much easier than an MRI because you may sleep and there isn't any noise unless you choose to listen to music.  My procedure only lasted for 1 hour.  Afterwards, they removed the head frame and observed my vitals.  I was sent home within the hour.  I had minimal head pain but was alleviated with Tylenol.  The following day, I rested in bed with symptoms of headache, fatigue and mild dizziness.  The second day, I began to walk with my husband but I continue to experience mild dizzines. Tomorrow will be one week since my treatment and each day I have improved.  My mild dizziness continues but is to be expected.  I have not had any facial issues.  My tinnitus may have minimally increased but nothing significant.  I am a runner and biker and hope to be resuming both very soon.  I have been extremely pleased with my choice and post gamma knife outcomes at this point. 

Connie
Tumor size 1.8 cm x 1.7 cm x 1.3 cm
51 y/o female

bfoley

Re: Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 05:52:21 am »
Connie -

Thanks for sharing!  I share your treatment choice - had mine at Mayo in Rochester MN.  Treatment on Thursday, back to work on Monday. Of course its an office job, so...  I had balance issues prior to treatment and still work with them on a daily basis.  Have gotten my core to be much stronger and that is a lot of what I rely on for balance.  Also SSD prior to treatment and use a CROS when needed.

Wishing you continued success!  Keep us aware of how you are doing - There are a few of us on here who are fairly active (I'm a walker/hiker) post Gamma.

Bonnie

gbly

Re: Gamma Knife Radiosurgery
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:17:46 pm »
bfoley,
Congratulations as a toasty posty!  I with you luck and keep us posted.

Left ear AN
.4 cm - April 2019
.7 cm - Aug 2019
1.7 cm AN - Aug 2020
Sept 2020 start 3 rounds of Proton Therapy
Total dose of 2100 cGy (centigray) in three separate doses of 700 cGy each.
Feb/March 2021 narcosis in AN.