Author Topic: Facial pain and tightness PRE treatment  (Read 3525 times)

Be-gone-Noma

Facial pain and tightness PRE treatment
« on: October 31, 2021, 02:57:32 am »
Hi everyone,

Please if anyone has experienced pain (like an ache) and tightness PRE treatment please let me know & what was your outcome with facial paralysis after treatment?

I have read many posts about facial tightness after treatment or with synkinesis. I am experiencing pain on my cheek bone & tightness when I have not had any treatment yet. I hold heat packs to my face & have hot baths which helps a lot.

My big concern is, since I haven’t read many posts with this symptom pre treatment, is that it could possibly be a facial neuroma? I do not have any paralysis though (yet!).

Please let me know if you had this symptom & what was your outcome please!

Thank you.

Greece Lover

Re: Facial pain and tightness PRE treatment
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 10:02:53 am »
Hi there!
I obviously am not a doctor and so I have no idea about what you are actually facing (no pun intended). But, I will tell you my own experience: I had very similar symptoms leading up to my surgery, and my doctor said a lot of that was probably in my head.  When we know there's a tumor in there, we get super sensitive and hyper alert to everything. I felt tightness, tingling, etc.  He told me it was nothing to worry about pre surgery, and he was right. 

The lead up to treatment is very tough, mentally and emotionally.  I wish you peace in getting through it.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Be-gone-Noma

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 04:24:50 am »
Thank you so much for replying!!!!

I was beginning to think (since so one had replied) that no one has experienced this & I’m doomed for the worst possible outcome known to man.

Strangely, that tight feeling lasted a couple weeks & now seems to have largely settled down. Of course I’m presuming the tumour has finished its job encapsulating my facial nerve & my facial nerve will need to be severed in surgery. Those are my thoughts!

I did speak to a neurosurgeon about this symptom & he told me similar to you.. “it’s anxiety”. Hard to believe though!!! I really don’t know. My thoughts to that were that these neurosurgeons need to go to brain school for much longer!!!! Surgery is booked for next month so only time will tell what the outcome will be. Killing me!

Thanks again for your response:)

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 07:50:42 am »
One thing mostly people don't like to talk about with these tumors (or any health related thing for that matter) is the role of anxiety.  It's real and it can be a problem.  It has amazed me how physical its symptoms can be, and I struggled with this both before and after surgery.  I saw a therapist for a while which was really helpful. So, you're not crazy!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.