Author Topic: Gold Eyelid Weight Removal - How do you know???  (Read 13564 times)

kkc

Gold Eyelid Weight Removal - How do you know???
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »
Hi - 

The question:  If you had gold weight removed, how did you know the time was right?  It's so hard to know if my eye would close on its own or not.

The back story:  I developed facial palsy 4 months after gamma knife for my AN.  Because I couldn't close my right eye, after 7 months of extremely slow facial nerve recovery,  I had a gold weight implanted (Feb, 2017).

I feel like the weight is dragging my eyelid down whenever my eyes are gazing down (reading, looking at phone, etc.).  I end up reading with that eye closed most of the time, then remembering to open it.   I do not have full facial nerve recovery.  I cannot raise my eyebrow and have little to no blink reflex (that I know of). 

Thank you!

Cheryl C

Re: Gold Eyelid Weight Removal - How do you know???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:54:53 am »
Hi KKC,
I have been out of surgery coming on 9 years and have had my weight for 8, after scarring my cornea.  My surgeon originally said if I regain full movement in my forehead above the eyebrow area and the corner of my eye, he would consider removing it.  My last visit he admitted that he never wanted to remove it >:(.
  I've had a scleral lens for three years now and love it, and feel that it provides the best moisture for my eye.  However, I want to be sure there won't be repurcussions from removing the weight, even though I've longed to do that since it was implanted.  My opthalmologist said if anything ever happened where I couldn't wear the lens, then I would be without "protection" for my eye. 
My eye now closes completely, whereas it wasn't before, and I am ever so gradually gaining movement in my forehead above that eye (and wrinkles!).  I have set a goal in mind that when the movement returns fully to my forehead area, I will go see about getting the weight removed.  Patience is the key, and what was devastating to me before has become routine.  I don't think there is a "set" time to do it, but taking in advice from all medical providers and weighing each, you have to decide what is in your best interest for you.
Here's hoping to one day without weights!
Cheryl C
~4.5 cm AN
Surgery 9/25/08, Medical City Hospital - Dallas
BAHA installed 1/09
External eye weight 3/09
Platinum eye weight & partial tarsorrhaphy 9/09
Scleral lens 3/14
Tarsorrhaphy reversal 5/14

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:44:53 pm »
Hi kkc,
I had surgery in 2011and my facial nerve was severed and I had the 12/7 nerve graft to help get movement back in my face. I had a gold weight implanted shortly after the initial surgery.

I only had it for a year. My facial nerve began to regenerate within that timeframe and I had pretty good closure of the eye. I'm not really sure what parameters the surgeon used to decide when I could get it removed,, I was able to close the eye well with it and open it completely ,, my situation may be different than both of you as my nerve was severed,, but I never did and wasn't expected to get movement in my forehead so that isn't necessary for eye closure,,, I still don't blink exactly as the other eye,, takes " thought" to close eye completely but don't have extreme problem with dry eye. I occasionally use eye drops but not daily,,

I hope this helps some. Just to know one person's experience,,,
Good luck to you both,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

kkc

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 03:32:02 pm »
Hi Cheryl and alabamajane,

Thank you both for your responses!  What encourages me the most is that you're both experiencing facial nerve recovery years after your procedures.  There's hope!  It's funny that I actually look forward to having a wrinkle or two (return) on the AN side forehead - someday.

Kay

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:48:20 am »
Another thought is that the weight might be too heavy for you now. The thought of going through the procedure again would put me off, but sounds like it might be worth checking with your oculoplastic surgeon.
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

kkc

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 03:29:14 pm »
Thanks for the response.  Actually I just saw my oculoplastic surgeon this week (11/14/17) to ask that very question.  He does not feel the weight is too heavy.  :(   Disappointing for sure.  I am experiencing the tiniest bit of movement above the eyebrow now, so I continue to hope for recovery.  Hope springs eternal!

wcarey13

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:54:43 pm »
I am having same issues. I had a 3 mm accoustic neuroma remov removed 20 months ago. No feeling in total left side of my face from the incision forward, including my tongue and top of my mouth. Had 1 gram gold weight put in Feb 2017. I am now scheduled to have removed Jan 2018 due to droopy rye. When is it time to just quit and let nature take its course

kkc

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »
Thank you for responding.  I'm wondering how your eye is doing now that the weight it out.  I hope you can take a moment to let me know!

dsirucek

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 07:31:11 pm »
I had Bell's Palsy Thanksgiving 2018. The right side of my face was impacted. I had 2 relapses within the first 3 months. I was wearing an eye guard since my right eye would not close. I had a sinus surgery in May 2019 and for some reason it seemed to have triggered a nerve or something, because the next day I was able to start moving my right eyelid. After a few days, I was able to close my eyelid about 1/3 of the way. I had a second sinus surgery in June 2019 and in the weeks after that my eyelid eventually was able to almost close.
After 2 1/2 years, there was a 3mm gap causing a dry strip to my corona which was degrading my vision. In 5/2021 I had a .8gram slim gold weight implanted in my right eyelid. My eyelid closes completely now. The cornea is healing.
However, like the other post I do have the same problem when sitting up working on the computer I find the eyelid slow closes and I realize I am working with one eye. I have force the eyelid open.
The eyelid stays open if I'm reclined or laying down no problem. Its only been 2 months, my next follow up is in 5 months, I am considering if the issue hasn't gotten easier when I'm working to ask the Dr. if we can replace the weight with a lighter weight.