Author Topic: Pregnancy after Treatment  (Read 2742 times)

saratrehan

Pregnancy after Treatment
« on: February 14, 2021, 05:20:24 pm »
Hello all,

Quick overview - i was diagnosed with a 3cm an when I was 36 weeks pregnant. I had RS  surgery in July 2018 5 weeks post partum, in which a sliver was left behind,  to preserve my facial nerve. Unfortunately, I experienced a regrowth and had to have  GK radiation 1 year ago. Thankfully,  my recent scans have shown lots of necrosis which is good!

My doctor said its ok to get pregnant now, and to live my life and not let this AN get in the way of my life. Even still  there is some nervous/paranoid thought in the back of my head that somehow the tumor would be reactivated due to pregnancy hormones. I am also
Nervous my lingering symptoms will flare up which seems like a definite possibility given when I was pregnant was when I even discovered the tumor iin the first place. Right now, a small dose of ativan calms down my symptoms (mostly facial twitching, but of course if I get pregnant I cant take that).

Has anyone gotten pregnant post surgery & radiation (or either or)  that Can shed light? I know there are some other threads regarding this, but the stories seem mixed - some had no issues at all, others speculated it did speed up growth. Again, my tumor is dying bases on recent scans.

Many thanks.
DX May 2018 - 29x24x27
RS Surgery - DR. Sisti NY Presbyterian July 2018. 95% Removal. SSD, Tinnitus, Facial Numbness, Severe Dry Eye
June 2019 - Stable 17x14x14
Dec 2019 - Rapid Regrowth - 21x25x17
January 29 2020 - GK NY Presbyterian Dr. Sisti & Dr. Wang

Greece Lover

Re: Pregnancy after Treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:53:09 am »
Being a man, I obviously have no idea what you're going through.  The mental side of these things is tough and I know pregnancy can often exacerbate that type of thing.  I pray you'll find peace and calm and be able to trust the medical advice you get.

Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

saratrehan

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 11:51:42 am »
thank you for your good wishes!

i have decided to go ahead and try and not focus on the 'what ifs' as there are no guarantees in life!
DX May 2018 - 29x24x27
RS Surgery - DR. Sisti NY Presbyterian July 2018. 95% Removal. SSD, Tinnitus, Facial Numbness, Severe Dry Eye
June 2019 - Stable 17x14x14
Dec 2019 - Rapid Regrowth - 21x25x17
January 29 2020 - GK NY Presbyterian Dr. Sisti & Dr. Wang

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:06:38 pm »
Sounds like a good plan, but easier "said" than "done." Good luck.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.