Author Topic: Simultaneous Tumor removal and cochlear implant placement  (Read 1886 times)

billvanpatten

Simultaneous Tumor removal and cochlear implant placement
« on: February 12, 2021, 07:36:18 pm »
Sorry if this already has a thread going. I am evidently not using the search correctly. I was recently diagnosed (10 days ago) with a small but agressive AN. Hearing in the right ear is gone with no hope of improvement.  I have done zoom conferences with two different facilities. BOTH suggested that I get after the surgical option quickly and BOTH suggested tumor removal AND implant placed in the same surgery. I am not seeing much (actually nothing) about this option. Does anyone have any information or give me hints on how to search more effectively on this topic. Thanks Bill Van Patten

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Simultaneous Tumor removal and cochlear implant placement
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 12:37:18 am »
Sorry about your diagnosis but you are in good company. Are you doing a search for Cochlear AND craniotomy at the same time? Try looking for more specific terms individually? I don't know of anyone who has had both at the same time, but I'd be surprised if it's NOT done.

Best of luck to you.

Marla B.

Cheryl R

Re: Simultaneous Tumor removal and cochlear implant placement
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 11:34:53 am »
It can be done if an intact and working acoustic nerve is saved.      I have read of it happening but has been a while.             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care