Author Topic: Hearing loss  (Read 9455 times)

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
Hearing loss
« on: November 28, 2006, 08:59:06 pm »
I had pretty good hearing from time of diagnosis(9/21/2006) until last night(11/27/2006). I was a little upset with my daughter, and about an hour after that I was listening to my Bible dvd with ear phones. I began to hear some weird sounds like the dvd was skipping or something shorting out. I pulled the ear phones off and realized my affected ear was ringing loudly, and my hearing appeared to have deminished alot. today when I got out of bed I felt as if I had a earplug in the affected ear. can any explain what is happening to me?
Thanks,

Sam
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Palace

• Palace
Re: Hearing loss
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:04:37 pm »
Sam,

You mean "fullness" in the problem ear, correct?

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Sam

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 09:07:49 pm »
Yeah fullness a little, but it feels like one of those foam earplugs is in my ear.
Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 09:31:08 pm »
Sam,

With my probably by now 23 mm tumor, I was feeling like my ear would blow up.  It can get much worse than you described.  The symptoms come and go with me, shifting around with intensity.  (where the tumor grows and pushes the nerve around, so I was told by a doctor)

Palace
single sided deafness

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 08:31:31 am »
Sam,

Are you watch-and-wait, or are you moving forward with a treatment?  How big is your AN?

In Nov 2004, I woke up with my left ear suddenly plugged up, feeling full, and diminished hearing.  That's what started my journey to diagnosis.  But it was a sudden shift for me - not gradual the way many describe it.  It *can* happen suddenly.  As to why it does that for some of us, I don't know.  If you'd feel better, please call your doctor and describe your change in symptoms.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Laura

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:32:24 am »
Sam, are you in watch and wait? My doctors advised me that if my symptoms got any worse or changed at all that I should come back in and be re-evaluated.
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Sam

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 12:07:39 pm »
I am scheduled for Gammaknife on Dec. 12, 2006. I ruled out watch and wait from the begining due to the symptoms I was having. When diagnosed it was 4mm X 7mm. It seems as if my balance issues have deminished, but still have the hearing loss, and ringing in ears issue. I am begining to wonder if stress causes problems with this tumor.
Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 12:24:27 pm »
My AN ear fullness and pressure-feeing came on suddenly as well. I was Christmas shopping with my husband and I started feeling dizzy and like my ear was plugged up. We had driven down the mountain and you usually have to "pop" your ears a couple times to accomodate the change in altitude, like on a plane. I felt like my ear just wouldn't pop. Now I know it was an AN symptom.
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 03:49:58 pm »
Sam,

It is good to know you will be taken care of on Dec. 12th.  It is better to get it handled and not let it get big and wonderful if a person gets diagnosed before it gets so large.  Many of us weren't so fortunate.  Keep us posted!

Bless your heart,

Palace
single sided deafness

Sam

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 05:03:08 pm »
Thanks so much, I owe the glory of mine being found so early to God. I was in a position where I had to beat myself into excellent physical condition, and found it after running 2 miles a day averaging about 13.5 MPH from Nov. 2005- Sept.2006. The good part, I found my tumor, Bad news I did'nt get the job, that hurt being, that they were coming to my job trying to recruit me, and after they found out about my tumor, they rejected me. It does not matter because God always works things out for the best. I am humble with that!

Sam
                         UAB Gammaknife

tcrnko

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 08:22:32 pm »
The fullness in my ear is what led me to the doctor.  I felt like I have a plug in my left ear.  Also had the hearing loss, about 50-60%.  I had been having periods of dizzyness, but wrote that off to age  :-\  Tried to clean my ear with Over the counter drops without effect. Even tried to "Candle" the ear.  (Wife has a picture she won't let me forget).  When nothing helped, went to the local clinic and was told that ear canal was clear.  Was started on decongestants and antibiotics, (have chronic sinusitis).  Still no change.  Finally drove me crazy enough that I contacted and audiology clinic.  1 round of prednisone and 1 MRI later, here I am with a +or- 2cm AN.
Surgery scheduled for January.
The hearing gets better, then worse.  Noise, like in a restaurant increases my tinnitus to a point that I can hear little else.  Its like the nerve is short-circuting causing extra noise.
Sometimes, laying down on my uneffected side will make my effected ear feel less full.  Alcohol helps me tolerate the vertigo.  (Don't know if I'm dizzy or drunk, but don't care)
At this point, I just want the thing gone!!
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego