Author Topic: How long after surgery did you return to work?  (Read 2351 times)

chrystland

How long after surgery did you return to work?
« on: November 26, 2020, 09:32:21 am »
I am going in for surgery on December 1. I was told by my first doctor that recovery would take 2-3 weeks. Then a nurse practitioner that will be helping me file disability papers said that my recovery may take up to three months! I told my work I would be out three weeks and did not prepare at all to be out longer than that. How much recovery time did you take before you went back to work?

Greece Lover

Re: How long after surgery did you return to work?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 09:25:06 am »
good luck with your surgery.  Recovery really depends on the person, obviously.  But, given my experience that what I've been reading on these forums over the past several years, I would caution you that 3 weeks is not a lot of time.  A few reasons: first, you'll be in the hospital for 4-5 days before you even come home.  Second, The balance takes a long time to adjust and come back to close to normal. third, the energy levels take a long time to get back to close to normal.  I've generally heard people say 6 weeks is a more reasonable timeline to return to work. 

So, it might be a good idea to push that timeline back, if only not to put pressure on yourself.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

v357139

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 09:56:31 pm »
I worked for a big company and went on Disability for 8 weeks.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

chrystland

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 09:37:57 pm »
I had my surgery and then had to have a second surgery to repair fluid leak. Ended up being in the hospital for 7 days and weakness has been an issue. Luckily no balance or headaches, but I am dealing with facial paralysis (hopefully temporary) and I get tired pretty easily. I definitely need to consider staying out of work longer!

Greece Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »
Glad to hear you made it to the other side.  Good luck with your recovery!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.