Author Topic: Novalis shaped-beam radiosurgery  (Read 17983 times)

chelsmom

Re: Novalis shaped-beam radiosurgery
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 12:02:08 am »
Hi All

My daughter, Chelsea, is halfway through her treatments (28 total) with Novalis.  She had a 6cm tumor that was partially removed-75-80% -during 31 hours of a 2 part surgery.  The portion that was left was on the brain stem an the neurosurgeons felt it too risky to take anymore.  I have complete faith and trust in her neurosurgeon, Dr. Becker of UCLA.  He explained why certain types of radiation works on different types of tumors and he felt that Novalis was the best choice for her.  This is from the UCLA Neurosurgery site on the web:

Novalis Shaped Beam Radiosurgery versus Gamma KnifeThe inception of the UCLA Stereotactic Radiosurgery Program began 25 years ago when the Karolinska Institute of Stockholm, Sweden, donated one of two "gamma knife" units in existence at the time for the purpose of collaborative research. Since that time the UCLA Radiosurgery Team has worked with the Gamma Knife, LINAC Scalpel, XKnife and more recently, with the Novalis Shaped Beam Surgery. The Novalis Shaped Beam Surgery is most advanced development in radiosurgery to date. UCLA is the only center in the United States to use a dedicated Varian SR600 Shaped Beam Surgery, stereotactic radiosurgery and stereotactic radiotherapy system. Unlike the Gamma Knife, which is limited to delivering single-dose treatments, the Novalis delivers narrow, well-defined beams that conform to the lesion(s) for both single and multiple dose treatments. Clinical results have demonstrated that delivering multiple or "fractionated doses" provides a therapeutic advantage for treating tumors that abut or include cranial nerves or critical regions of the brain. Furthermore, research studies estimate that about one-half of all radiosurgery treatments would be better treated with multiple small doses. Based on these technological advancements coupled with proven clinical results, the Novalis is now considered the "Gold Standard" for shaped-beam radiosurgery.

I know that we all have to do our research and trust the doctors and our decisions throughout this journey. 

crystallady

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 12:36:21 pm »
I have decided that the Novalis is the way for me to go.  Its a one shot deal, better at covering all the tumor without hot spots because they can shape the ray to the shape they need to cover and at a lower dose.  there are also less side effects.   

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 02:03:43 pm »
I have decided that the Novalis is the way for me to go.  Its a one shot deal, better at covering all the tumor without hot spots because they can shape the ray to the shape they need to cover and at a lower dose.  there are also less side effects.   

Hi crystallady,

congrats on making your decision... always great to get that part out of the way. I do, however, have a question.  If you are having Novalis/FSR done, that usually (to my knowledge) is not done in one dose (why it is usually deemed as FSR/Fractionated [more than one] Stereotactic Radiosurgery)... usually over a course of time of 25-30 days/doses (but, I was also quoted as low as 5-days)...   also... shaping the ray to the shape of the growth is also performed by other forms of radio-surgery (ie: Cyberknife, etc)....... I'm also curious as to what they quoted you as the "lower dose".  Usually it is measured in "Gy"... do you know what they quoted you as the total Gy that will be used on you?

Just curious, nothing more... anyone care to enlighten me here about 1-dose Novalis?

Here's wishing you well crystallady and know that we're here cheering you on.  Did they give you a treatment date yet so we can help you with thoughts and wishes?

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

crystallady

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 03:13:36 pm »
The machine they use here isnt  FSR/Fractionated radiation.  Its alot like the gamma knife with one dose.  they can shape the rays, unlike the gamma knife which only does circles or ovals, to what ever odd shape they need to cover the entire tumor.  Multiple rays, all different shapes, very little over lapping where too much radiation hits. its like putting a puzzle together to cover the whole area.

As for when, it will be about 6 weeks after I get the golf ball size meningioma removed from the top of my head.  the neurosurgeon said it was accessible and not near anything critical which was a huge relief for me.  I probably will have that remove in January of 2007.  Trying to get things in order.. but.. not sure what all those things should be.. any ideas? 

Cindy