Author Topic: Headaches  (Read 2862 times)

Callie08

Headaches
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:34:12 pm »
Hi there,

I was diagnosed with an AN last December. Starting in May, I started getting horrific headaches that were on the same side as my AN. These were so brutal that I could not eat, watching television made me nauseous, and the pain itself made me nauseous. I went to the ER after a brutal month of this and they told me ANs do not cause this type of pain, but migraines do. Fast forward to today and while the pain is significantly less, I still have headaches 24/7. What does decrease the pain is not drinking alcohol, not eating too much sugar, and not eating processed bread ( made with bleached flour, enriched wheat, sugar etc.). Having just one alcoholic bevvie can make my tinnitus extra loud and the pain much worse. Has anyone experienced this type of headache?

My tumour is only about a centimetre, I believe. I am waiting to hear from the neurosurgeon for a GK date, but with this pandemic, who knows how long that could be. I am also taking care of my husband who has ALS and requires a lot of care, and with these headaches, it is exhausting.

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Headaches
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:53:54 am »
Hello and welcome Callie..

I too suffer from diet-related headaches..wine and sugar will definitely ramp things up for me. I've also noticed that my tinnitus has amped up in the past six months (go figure). I had a recent MRI and there is no change, so I am confident, that for me, it's environmental and emotional....

You have quite a full plate and I don't claim to have all the answers, but one thing that worked for me was trying to alleviate stress, even for a short time. Can you take moments for yourself to try to get some rest and calm your mind? Yoga? Meditation? However that looks or works for you. Maybe just knowing you are "normal" is a comfort? I hope so. Best of luck to you....

Marla B

Callie08

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 06:53:30 pm »
Thank you, Marla, so much for your reply. I am embarrassed to say it, but I do no yoga or meditation,  even though I know how beneficial they are. I must learn to take at least 10 minutes first thing in the morning for myself or my headaches will remain constant. Meditation should be something I do as it is somewhat easy and is do calming. Most importantly, however,I need to have a squeaky clean diet or the pain is quite awful.

Thanks again and hope your pain takes a hike for good one day very soon.

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »
Same to you Callie. I hope you can make time for yourself every day. YOU ARE IMPORTANT!

M

Director

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 11:53:06 am »
ANA has a Zoom virtual support group meeting scheduled for Saturday, October 17 at 11 a.m. ET on the topic of Headaches.  It will be moderated by two volunteers - one had pre-treatment headaches and one had post-treatment headaches and will discuss management strategies.  For more information and to register, visit https://www.anausa.org/programs/support-groups/upcoming-events/eventdetail/1099/-/virtual-ana-support-group-meeting

ANA also has a headache booklet, contact me for more info.

I hope this will be helpful!

Melanie Hutchins
Manager, ANA Volunteer Programs
volunteers@ANAUSA.org

Callie08

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 02:32:13 pm »
Hi there!

I wish I could go on to the zoom session, but I will be in a prior engagement during that time. I would love to have the booklet, though, please. I'm really getting tired of these headaches and if you have any advice for me, I'd love to hear it.

Thank you!

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 03:56:42 pm »
Hi Callie...I'm one of the moderators on this page. I don't have access to request the handbook for you, but if you haven't already, I would suggest you register for the free temp-membership with ANA. You'll get ALL the booklets and handouts...and I'm sure will lead you to PLENTY MORE QUESTIONS. We'll all be here. You are not alone!!

Marla B.

register here...click on the button for "free patient kit" https://www.anausa.org

(I don't think it will ask you for payment info..I signed up so long ago I can't remember. That and I had brain surgery...  ;-) )

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 03:58:29 pm »
Also, I suggest you register for that Zoom. Even if you can't go, you'll for sure be notified when it's available on the website to watch at your leisure. Stay well.

Marla B>\.

Callie08

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 05:06:23 pm »
Registered! Thanks, everyone.