Author Topic: hearing aids  (Read 10780 times)

Battyp

hearing aids
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:55:42 pm »
Ok I'm in the process of dealing with VR and the audiologist and trying to make a decsion.  I know I must be bugging the heck out of boppie and nate.  Here's my delimma....the audiologist I have to work with (vr is paying so I have to go where they send me) does not work with transear.  I have been recommened for the cross.  I talked with the VR counsellor yesterday and the closest place that does transear is a 3 hour drive away (farther away than I can drive so good old mom's taxi will be having to take me).  I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra effort to push for the transear or if I should avoid the obstacles and accept the cross.  Both look good when you read about them.  I know cross has been around longer and transear is new.  Does anyone know if cross has a test band.  I was told from transear to use the test band for the baha.  Again, trying to make the best decision within my parameters.  I'm completely deaf in my left ear (an side) with lots of tinnitus, right ear hears perfect with tinnitus. 

Thanks gang for all your help!  (NO Joef, BAHA is not an option  LOL)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: hearing aids
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 02:17:38 pm »

who me?  :-X
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

matti

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:46:40 pm »
Hi Michelle - I get my TransEar this Thursday (FINALLY!!!). There was a 3 week delay due to a shipping mishap and ordering a brown transfer unit instead of the usual tan. Tan is always in stock, they have order brown or black. I have brown hair so opted for that.

Rick Gilbert from TransEar has been EXTREMELY helpful whenever I had any problems or questions. Have you contacted him yet? He wil be out of town from Friday on, so best to e-mail him soon.

Since the Audiologist that offers TransEar is 3 hours away, just remember that you might have to go back a few times for software and fitting changes. Since your mom doesn't mind driving you, it shouldn't be a problem.   

You have a terrific mom ;D

When I get my TransEar Thursday (2:30 my time), I will call you later that night and give you my thoughts.

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:57:46 pm »
I would say one is better off buying a hearing aid locally.  Adjustments are needed from time to time even after the initial setup of the instrument.  All mechanical things need adjustments and repairs.

It is too bad that TransEar has so little presence and so few doors open in the ENT community.  It is a fine answer for those who can't go for the BAHA.

The differences?  Cros is an air conduction wireless aid.  
TransEar is a bone conduction aid via transducer in an ear canal mold.  
BAHA (a bone conduction aid) requires small surgery to give a positive direct bone contact via a titanium post implant in the skull.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 03:02:08 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:00:04 pm »
Batty, Having said that.  Matti can give you her good thoughts. 

Matti, email me if you have any middle of the evening questions about adjustment problems, etc.

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:04:21 pm »
Matti, I couldn't agree more about the helping attitude of TransEar.  They worked with me all the way through fitting and installation day.

matti

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 03:18:20 pm »
Thank you Boppie!! I am sure I will have some questions.

As I had said, there was a delay and a shipping mishap with my TransEar and out of frustration with my audiologist, I e-mailed Rick and he immediately investigated and fixed the problem. Great guy!!!

I too hope that TransEar gains a bigger presence in the ENT community. I told Rick that I hope TransEar will be able to particpate in the AN symposium next July.

hugs,
Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Boppie

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 04:26:59 pm »
Trying the sounds with a BAHA test band would tell how much bone conduction one has.  Your audiologist has a test instrument to check this for you.  My audiologist stated that some people will have less transference across the bone if the skull bone is very dense.   ;D  I mean our parents told us we were dense, they probably didn't mean dense in that way.  LOL!   

However, such density is not the norm.  So, using the test band would confirm sound for you.  The band presses a digital mic pick up hard against the head behind and slightly above the deaf ear.  Perhaps the test band would give a person the audiotory sensation of hearing through the bone and of knowing how sounds come across. 

For me the BAHA test at 2 months post op was amazing, a sound like a cell phone on low volume.  This band test gave me a summation similar to what I get today with my TransEar.

The hearing aid for SSD adds volume to the good ear, and does not alter the quality, or pitch characteristics of that summation.  You aren't aware of a "cell phone quality" in the mix.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 07:28:58 pm »

I have no idea if there are any good, but sound interesting .. I saw these on a banner ad. at www.alldeaf.com

http://www.bocoha.com/

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jeanlea

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 09:09:23 pm »
Matti,

I'll be eager to hear how you like your TransEar.  I also read they have a pink  one.  Wonder if that color is hard to get.  I'm still waiting to see if my local audiologist will be able to sell me one.  I'm not a big shopper, and now that I've found something I really want to buy, no one will sell it to me.  So frustrating!

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

matti

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 10:54:27 am »
Hi Jean - From what I have been told, TransEar's processor manufacturer only makes the tan processor and must buy the different colored shells from another manufacturer. TransEar then removes the internals from the tan and insert into the color processors. It takes a week or two longer in the order process. I think they have several different colors to choose from. Pink would be cool!!

Hopefully your audiologist will get on board with TransEar, I really lucked out when I found out my audiogist carried them.

Cheryl
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 04:49:30 pm »
I'm one step closer to getting the TransEar.  My sister has a relative of her husband's who sells hearing aids.  I contacted her a couple of months ago.  Today I heard from her again.  She wrote to tell me that her office now has an account with TransEar and did I still want to be her "guinea pig."  I will have to travel about 2 1/2 hours from my house, but I'm willing to do it. 

I've never had to have so much patience in my life as I'm learning through this whole AN process.

Thanks for all your support.  The people here really help me get through this.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 05:10:31 pm »
Hooray Jean!, :D

My audiologist said, "This is my first TransEar, so we're flying by the seat of our pants, now."  TransEar will help all the way. 

Maybe someday they will make purple, pearl, silver and blue shells!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 05:13:44 pm by Boppie »

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 10:21:47 pm »
I will ad that I've talked to transear and emailed and they've been great to deal with.  They've even sent my audiologist the fitting kit to try to help get her going with them.  She didn't know anything about them :o(  She also told me the cross had a wire  DUH...didn't believe me when I told her they were wireless as I've seen em.  Thanks Nate!

Matti can't wait to hear how you do!
I want one with PINK GLITTER  :-*