Author Topic: Eighteen Months from surgery  (Read 3003 times)

thomasb

Eighteen Months from surgery
« on: August 22, 2020, 10:07:04 am »
Yesterday, 8-21-20 was exactly 18 months since I had my acoustic neuroma tumor ( behind my right ear ) surgically removed. I was 71 when I had this done. In addition to the tumor ( 7 mm in size ), my  number 5 and 7 nerves had become attached to the tumor so they had to be repaired. Dr. Patrick Slater ( Austin ( TX ) Ear Clinic – Neurotologist ) and Dr. Craig Kemper ( Austin ( TX) Brain and Spine – Neurological Surgeon ) performed the surgery. The surgery was successful. I then started my new reality. Here are a few of the changes that I had to live with:
Complete deafness on my right side, tinnitus, difficulty determining sound direction, memory overload ( keeping a train of thought, getting lost in conversation, cannot handle large crowds ), walking daily ( 2 miles or more ) but occasional balance issues ( turning, hard to pivot and turn, getting up ) and getting down from a curb, sleeping has changed ( difficulty sleeping on my right ear ), facial paralysis on my right side, display less patience at times, fatigue ( taking daily mid-day naps ),memory loss especially the earlier years of my life, eye surgery ( gold weight implanted in my right eye light because I have no control of it, occasional headaches, and pain behind my right ear especially when I am stressed out. The struggle that I seem to face daily is discouragement but my faith in God helps me get over this.

Would I have it done again? Of course, yes. My life is so much better that when I had the tumor. It takes some time to recover but the rewards are well worth it.

So, if you have any doubts of getting it removed, please do not. Talk with your loved ones, your family members, and your good friends. They will be your support before and after surgery. Do your research as to what life ( physical and mental ) will be like before, during and after the surgery.

May God be with you during this time.  Peace!
Tom Bonczek
College Station. TX

PS I want to ‘Thank’ the Acoustic Neuroma Association - Houston Support Group for their encouraging words.

v357139

Re: Eighteen Months from surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 10:29:10 pm »
Tom thank you for sharing your story.  If there a particular issues that are more challenging, you may want to seek out others who have the same issues.  They may have additional ways of dealing with those issues.  I see you mention facial paralysis.  You may want to talk to a facial rehab expert.  I have heard Jackie Diels is really good, and would probably be worth at least talking to.

All the best.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

gbly

Re: Eighteen Months from surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:38:42 pm »
Tom,
Thank you for sharing your story and stay strong.   You have a journey and you are staying very positive and strong. You inspire.
v/r GB