Author Topic: House Ear Clinic , Stanford or UCSD  (Read 5793 times)

buddha

House Ear Clinic , Stanford or UCSD
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:57:17 am »
Hi,

We are following up with Stanford for an annual MRI that has shown some growth (~ 1mm) (we live locally).  I would like to consult other doctors too.

1. Looks like Dr. Rick Friedman and Schwartz have moved from the Ear Institute to UCSD.
Has anyone recently had surgery or consulted with UCSD? Does anyone if they do phone consultations?

2. For House Ear Clinic- a lot of folks here have given amazing reviews for this one.

3. How is Stanford for surgery? Looks like most experiences here are with CK with Dr. Chang. So wanted to see about other experiences here. Since we live locally it would be most convenient.

Thank you all!

v357139

Re: House Ear Clinic , Stanford or UCSD
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 07:22:17 pm »
Friedman and Schwartz worked alot together at House.  Then Friedman went somewhere else, then to UCSD.  Schwartz went from House to UCSD.  They are an excellent team.  I opted for House back in 2012 with Schwartz and Slattery (Friedman had already left).  They did a great job and I am doing great.  I am sure House is still great, and I think Slattery is still there.  I have no insight on the other folks at House, but House has a great name so I am sure they are good.  You give yourself good odds with Friedman/Schwartz or House.  I have no info on Stamford.  Best of luck!!
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

michellef08

Re: House Ear Clinic , Stanford or UCSD
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 09:10:38 am »
Completely agree with v357139!

I had my surgery with Schwartz and Friedman when they were still at House in 2013, with amazing results! I had Middle Fossa and they were able to preserve my hearing, and I didn't have a single balance or facial issue after. House was a well-oiled machine from all the ANA experience - from the nurses, hospitals, doctors, "hotel", etc, and I have heard good things about Dr. Slattery. The surgeons Schwartz and Friedman were amazing, highly recommend!! I'd recommend getting opinions from both places and see which one you feel most comfortable with.

I've also heard good things about Stanford is you are going the radiation route.
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.