Author Topic: Muffled Speech Due to Masks  (Read 4272 times)

GP9

Muffled Speech Due to Masks
« on: May 05, 2020, 08:15:48 pm »
Since many now wear masks because of the epidemic, do you have a hard time understanding people? I’ve had lots of trouble, but today is the first day of my trial Cross hearing aids. I’ve finally had enough of having trouble hearing, ten years after my AN.

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Muffled Speech Due to Masks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 11:47:36 pm »
I find it very difficult. Likely over the years I've learned some lip reading and that is taken from me.
Hope the hearing aids work for you. I had them years ago and by the time I adjusted to them they started having mechanical problems and with always sending them for repairs I gave up, never have tried again.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 07:05:04 am »
If you do a Google search on clear masks for the deaf and hard of hearing, there are several sites offering such masks.  It might be good for all of us with hearing issues (who depend up lipreading for understanding of speech) to ask our local medical facilities if they are equipped to provide clear masks for their medical personnel to use with deaf or hard of hearing patients.  We do not need them, but the medical people treating us do!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

GP9

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:01:47 pm »
The clear masks are a good idea, but you can’t expect the clerk to have them at the grocery store. I’m now getting adjusted to my trial hearing aids. There is no amplification in the good ear, the only function is the cross feature. Not it’s not only masks. Stores have erected clear plastic shields in front of store clerks. This further muffles sound.

I do lots of lobbying and public relations for a union. It might be interesting to pose the question of how the masks and shields effect the deaf and hearing impaired community, to public health officials.