Author Topic: Son diagnosed with meningioma  (Read 2114 times)

Paulaw

Son diagnosed with meningioma
« on: February 18, 2020, 06:08:17 pm »
Hi, my son was recently diagnosed with a meningioma and we have been referred to Dr. Akagami.  I am wondering what the usual wait is to get an appointment?  He is experiencing headaches, blurred vision and hand tremors as well as some other things.  I am worried about not seeing the Dr soon.  His meningioma measures 21x15x12mm (SI by ML by AP) What can i do to help with his symptoms until he is seen? :(

golfguy49

Re: Son diagnosed with meningioma
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 09:51:09 am »
Hi Paula.  I see no one has posted a reply yet, so I will share some things.  Choosing a doctor (and selecting a surgery method) is perhaps the most difficult part of being a patient with these types of tumors.  Many times I almost wished I had no choices to make and that there was only one option.  That said, we do the research and make the best decisions we can.  I would suggest getting into a doctor as soon as possible, especially because of the symptoms he is experiencing.  There are several dozen great doctors around the USA who do this type of work - I personally consulted with 3 before choosing my doctor.  I had surgery Jan 30 and I am on the mend.  Hearing down to 10-20% in my left ear and my balance is slowly recovering with help from twice per week PT and home exercises.  Can't drive yet, but I expect I could in a few weeks if my progress continues.  But I feel good and I can hear Ok with one good ear.  Maybe the other can be amplified in time.   These are outcomes that need to be considered, but it is seldom a situation where life is the same as it was before surgery.  It can still be good, just with some new challenges and new ways of experiencing the world. 
March 2018: 10 x 5 x 5 mm AN diagnosed April 2018.  October 2018: 12 x 5 x 5 mm.  Considering surgery in early 2019.
October 2019: 14 x 5 x 5mm.  Surgery scheduled for late Jan 2020.
January 2020:  Surgery at NW Hospital in Chicago area done by Drs. Fishman and Brayton