Author Topic: Dizziness and Nausea  (Read 2311 times)

Isla247

Dizziness and Nausea
« on: February 17, 2020, 01:04:27 am »
Hi everyone, I have a small AN (roughly 7-8mm at my last MRI in October) but I am feeling sicker and sicker. I know from my MRI's that it is growing - but only at around a rate of 2mm every 6 months. Recently, my dizziness has increased dramatically and I feel on the verge of vomiting with it. It used to be on average once a week/fortnight that I felt woozy (not nauseous) and it was easy to deal with. Now I feel dizzy and nauseous about 3 times a week and it usually lasts all day - its becoming debilitating and today is just the absolute worst that I have had it which has motivated me to reach out.

These feelings have increased in severity and frequency since late December 2019. Am I going through a bad patch or do I go back to the doctor to get another check up before my next 6 month MRI is due in April? My stress levels have been through the roof lately with family issues and I wonder whether anyone has noticed a correspondence between their symptoms increasing in severity with their stress levels? Has anyone made the decision to get treatment because of their dizziness and what was the outcome? I have no noticeable hearing loss which was confirmed with a hearing test so hearing at this stage is not an issue for me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I don't know whether this is just a natural progression and something that my brain will begin to compensate for or if I need to make a choice about treatment before I am like this daily.

Thank you

bfoley

Re: Dizziness and Nausea
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 05:31:07 am »
Sorry to hear about your change in symptoms.  It is not fun nor easy.  I had something similar but the nausea did not persist like your is.  Mine became bad and I went to a PT for balance.  She assessed me as just above risk for falls.  She asked me to stand with my feet together then place one in front of the other.  I absolutely could not without hanging onto something.  I could not stand with them close together and offset from each other.  Lots of things that I had not noticed.  She gave me exercises to do, and things improved over time.  Its not perfect, but way better.  I am also doing yoga and zumba once per week.  I cannot do the spins in zumba, it makes me too dizzy.   

I would pay attention to your hearing.  About the time the dizziness (with some nausea) started, the hearing got worse.  I lost my hearing in the course of 3-4 months.  At my second opinion, I told the Dr we would do RS if I chose surgery.  He said - you still have hearing, your test from 3 months ago says its 90+%.  I said -"its gone, I'm deaf in that ear".  They did not believe me, but a hearing test 2 weeks later showed all serviceable hearing was gone. 

Ultimately I decided on GK - and the MRI for the mapping showed it had grown rapidly.  That explains the severe hearing loss and other issues.

Today I have a microphone/receiver type of hearing aid.  Tinnitus is constant and varies in level and pitch.  Balance continues to be an issue, minor most days.  I take ginger capsules to help if I am feeling any nausea.

Best of luck as you find the things that work best for you, and let us all know how you are doing!

Isla247

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 03:32:49 pm »
Thank you. I think I have some big decisions to make shortly so I can try and protect what I have left before it gets taken off me by the tumour. Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it.

jami

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 04:56:09 pm »
Hi Isla247,

So glad to see you in the forum, this place is such a great help.  Dizzyness was not my symptom (but over years i was losing balance, though i was just old. turns out my tumor was growing on the balance nerve) BUT i can comment on the stress part as well as the speed to severity.

SPEED: My first symptom of facial numbness I noticed (excluding the balance) was 2/18, MIR was 5/18 and by 8/18 i was a wreck.  Surgery in September. My head felt like a balloon, I could not think, etc. The symptoms can intensify quickly.  BUT others may have years before the AN is actionable. It depends on size and location, but there are also life impacts to consider.

STRESS: I still have a smallish neuroma, after surgery and CK, with an upcoming MRI. When I am stressed at work, the numbness in my face is more constant and the tongue / taste issues start. I cant tell if the stress causes it, or the symptoms add to the stress. But i recognize its a factor in how we, as a whole, experience this.

If you have an online tool to communicate with your care team, you might want to post a note about the changes in symptoms you are experiencing AND ask for advice. I have used email to communicate with my care team often, and they either talk me off a cliff, tell me what to ask for next, or moved appointments sooner.

Jami

(PS - hearing loss was NOT a symptom for me that i was aware of. It was an outcome of surgery, but not an issue)

Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm