Author Topic: MRI and clausterphobia  (Read 2216 times)

Buchaired2

MRI and clausterphobia
« on: December 03, 2019, 08:24:18 pm »
I had my surgery on Oct 6 last year and have been told I need another MRI in about 6 months.  This will be my fifth MRI in less than 2 years and I am very clausterphobic.  I have avoided taking medicine before my MRI in the past because my husband was deployed and I needed to be alert to drive and take care of my 2 kids.  By sheer willpower, I make it through it.  I just keep trying to imagine a big open sky overhead, with clouds rolling by.

But my husband is back now, and can help out, so I am considering taking something before my next MRI.

I was just wondering what the experience is like when taking something and what did the Dr have you take.  I am afraid that I will still feel the panic but not be able to press the button for help or anything like that-like still feeling trapped but not being able to do anything about it.  I'm not quite sure how to articulate my fears here, as you can see!

Also, after the surgery I took Oxycontin and it turns out I am allergic to it...so I was hoping that the Dr would prescribe 2 doses so that I could try whatever they give me first to make sure I am not going to have a reaction to it while I am stuck in that little hole.  :o

Thanks for any tips or experiences!

~Heidi

samoan

Re: MRI and clausterphobia
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 03:59:43 pm »
You would have to contact the place of the MRI and they can tell you want they give you and let them know what you are allergic to as well. I don't get claustrophobic so I can't speak to the drugs. I know some places give Xanax or Valium, as I heard someone in a waiting room mention this. Some places also have a headset that contains a mirror that allows you to see outside the MRI or clouds or some image, that may help if your MRI places have them. Call where you are going to get the MRI what your options are as claustrophobia is very common amongst patients.

notaclone13

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 09:18:20 am »
My mother suffered from severe anxiety in her senior years. Ativan was a miracle drug for her and very well tolerated. Perhaps your doctor would give you a prescription for a few. Also, tell the  MRI technician that you get panic attacks. They are use to dealing with clustraphobic patients and will talk you through the procedure, which helps. You might also consider taking the nonprescription drug Dramamine. It is an antihistamine with calming effects.

buzneg

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 01:57:25 pm »
The amount and type of drugs you can get before an MRI might vary from one state to another.  Tennessee is a good state to get light sedation before a head MRI if you go to the correct place.  Not all places even in the same chain of radiology have an anesthesia person that can do it though.  And the co-pay for it can run as much as the co-pay on the MRI itself.

March 1, 2018 - Hearing loss left side, acute vertigo
March 2, 2018 - MRI show 13 x 7 mm AN (probably growing)
May 2018 - ENT/audiologist indicate 100% hearing loss on left side is permanent
June 29, 2018 -  GK at Wake Forest in NC
Dec.2018 -  MRI shows zero growth
Jan.2020 MRI shows tumor shrinking

juliawilson

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 01:59:01 pm »
One of the people in my AN support group had major claustrophobia issues, to the point that she had delayed MRIs far longer than her physician wanted. She finally had him give her a good amount of Valium, and she said it made all the difference in the world. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!