Author Topic: In operable An ( traveling on a plane )  (Read 9924 times)

Nicholnissen72

In operable An ( traveling on a plane )
« on: October 17, 2019, 10:53:03 pm »
Hi Everyone ,
I have a question .. I was diagnosed in 2008 with my AN and had gamma knife surgery on it in 2009... the GK only stopped it from growing but did not shrink it ... I have had many many post health issues with having to live with it in my head ... dizziness , chronic pain , terrible headaches , facial nerve damage , tinnitus , hearing loss , fatigue , cognitive issues  bouts of vertigo etc etc ... my question is .. Is it safe to travel on a plane ... I haven’t been on a plane on over28 years and I was told by someone that it could possibly cause death to me if I travel in a plane with this in my head ... has anyone had issues or severe happenings after plane travel with an AN?....ty ahead of time for all posts and answers ... Nichol 

Pallen

Re: In operable An ( traveling on a plane )
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:56:51 pm »
Hi, I traveled one month after my diagnosis on a commercial airplane with no problems.
diagnosed Aug 2019 1.1 x 1.4 x 1.4
moderate hearing loss and tinnitus

kestes

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 11:06:21 am »
Hi! first, I would just ask your doctor as each person is so different regarding symptoms they have BUT, I flew 5 weeks after my Gamma Knife procedure and I have flown over 6 times this year and have one more trip coming up in a few weeks. I am 1 year out of GK tomorrow.   
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
14mm at 6 mo MRI Aug 2018
tinnitus, high pitch hearing loss, balance issues
GK at UVA Dr Jason Sheehan Nov 2, 2018
MRI May 2019, slight swelling of AN but showing necrosis - experiencing vertigo issues
Columbia, South Carolina

jami

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:04:06 am »
HI,

I flew much with my AN and after the AN, including trips from the US to India. Post diagnosis but pre-surgery I was really concerned, and kept getting reassured that it wont be an issue.

After the surgery, on my first two trips I did have some pretty big headaches, but i think it was due to the noise + tinnitus + stress (delayed flights). I now wear noise canceling headphones and do everything to manage any related stress, including arriving at a destination a day early so i can rest. In 2019 I have traveled over 100K miles and been good.

It might not be a bad idea to check with your doctor, however, even if you are having significant stress around it.

Jami
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

adrianruther

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 12:08:45 pm »
Hey Nichol, I can understand your concerns about traveling with AN. It's essential to consult with your doctor before making any travel plans, as they can advise you on any potential risks. I haven't heard of any severe happenings after plane travel with AN, but it's always best to be safe.I traveled to Tanzania when I had AN. Positive emotions helped me recover faster. It could be a great opportunity to experience something new and exciting.

(moderator edited out links)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 07:40:55 pm by MarlaB »