Author Topic: Skipping an MRI or two over the years?  (Read 69 times)

Sharky

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 35
Skipping an MRI or two over the years?
« on: September 11, 2019, 06:30:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with a small AN in May of 2019, and I have my follow-up MRI and hearing test in November at the six-month mark.

Has anyone decided for whatever reason to pass on a yearly MRI? I'm guessing that, if you have, it is because your AN is small or not growing, or maybe just growing slowly...or you have not had an increase in symptoms?

I am curious. I am wondering how willing I will be to revisit this AN thing once every single year, if there is no growth and/or no increase in symptoms? So, I'm wondering if any of you more long-time W&Wers have eased up on the follow-up?

Thank you.
NF2 suspected--genetics assessment 08/2019
05/25/19 W&W until 11/26/19
05/20/19-AN found R ear via MRI--7mmx4mm

-fullness in R ear, minor balance issue, tinnitus, FATIGUE-

IL17JJ

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Re: Skipping an MRI or two over the years?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:29:22 pm »
Well, I am not a long timer, but I have eased up a bit early on.

MRI diagnosed with a left side 6mm X 3mm Facial Nerve Tumor involving the Geniculate Ganglion on 02/11/2017. I was also at the time diagnosed with a Small Brain Hemorrhage in the right side involving the Parahippocampal Gyrus & Lingual Gyrus. The hemorrhage was what they were looking for, the Facial Nerve Tumor was an incidental finding.

My first MRI follow up 1 year later (02/2018) was stable and no change in size. I chose to lengthen my next one to 18 months to (08/2019). That one showed no change and stable.

Based on this I am going to go out 2 full years (08/2021) for the next one barring any changes in my clinical condition. I still plan to consult with my Neuro-Otologist annually. This was a decision that we made jointly, along with my Neurologist.
02/11/17 MRI: Left Geniculate Ganglion 6X3mm Facial Nerve Tumor
Watch & Wait with Periodic Imaging

Sharky

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 35
Re: Skipping an MRI or two over the years?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:21:39 am »
Hi IL17JJ :-)

Thanks for your reply. Your plan sounds a lot like what I would choose, after this first follow-up MRI. If there is any increase in my symptoms of course I would respond accordingly. I feel like what I need the most right now is to be a patient only to the extent that is absolutely necessary.

I wish you the best. :-)

Sharky
NF2 suspected--genetics assessment 08/2019
05/25/19 W&W until 11/26/19
05/20/19-AN found R ear via MRI--7mmx4mm

-fullness in R ear, minor balance issue, tinnitus, FATIGUE-

 


anything
anything