Author Topic: Surgery at UCSD with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz  (Read 6391 times)

voyager

Surgery at UCSD with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:44:42 pm »
Hello fellow ANers,

I had been in wait and watch for 4 years and now am at a point where action needs to be taken soon. I am considering surgery at UCSD with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz.  If anyone had a surgery with them, could you please share your experience and feedback.

Thanks!

Greece Lover

Re: Surgery at UCSD with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:55:58 am »
I didn't have my surgery with them, but everyone says they are the best.  Good luck. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

voyager

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:48:31 am »
Yes have heard that too.  So looking to get some surgery outcome and experience inputs from folks who had surgery with them.

sg_way

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 05:48:03 pm »
Hi - There's a Facebook page called Acoustic Neuroma where you can find many UCSD patients shared their experience with those doctors.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 08:21:19 am »
Hi voyager .....

Drs. Friedman and Schwartz did my surgery in 2011, when they were both still at House Ear Clinic in LA.  They are both fabulous, caring surgeons who not only are tops in the AN field, but are two of the most caring physicians I have ever encountered.

I was walking around downtown LA nine days post-op.  However, to be fair, it was my second AN surgery so most of my balance recovery had occurred prior to that surgery.  I flew home to the East Coast on day 13 with no issues, other than fatigue from the flight delays we experienced.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

michellef08

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 10:48:50 am »
I also had my surgery with Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Friedman back when they were still at the House Ear Clinic (in 2013).
They preserved my hearing with the Middle Fossa approach. They were amazing - can't speak highly enough of them!
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

rlw16

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 06:44:28 pm »
I flew across the country to have surgery with Drs. Friedman and Schwarz -- from Boston to San Diego. I made the decision after consulting with top surgeons in New York, Boston and the Mayo Clinic. It was the best decision I ever made for myself. They are extremely skilled, and they are also extremely caring. My surgery was June 2019, and I count myself extremely lucky. I wish you all the best!