Author Topic: Teeth Issues post RS  (Read 2536 times)

amyneely

Teeth Issues post RS
« on: August 25, 2019, 05:14:16 pm »
Hello to all you AN Warriors!

My surgery was July 15, 2019 for an 11mm left acoustic neuroma. My surgery was 9 hours and I lost all hearing in my left ear. My facial nerves, gratefully, were preserved. I have always been very active, primarily an avid road cyclist. I was hit by a car in 2008, took the fall on my face. To date I have undergone 20 root canals, with 4 redo root canals then pulling those teeth. After surgery I had a large bruise on my lip from the ET tube. 2 weeks post op and my back molar ( #18) started to bother me. The tooth was pulled but I'm having continued mouth pain. I can't say for sure but I am wondering if my teeth issues now are a result of the surgery. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm also finding life to be challenging with my new, unexpected SSD. I walk a bunch, or did until my tooth acted up. Still feel like concrete was poured into my ear and head. When, if at all, does that unpleasant sensation ease? Thank you all!

Amy

ANSydney

Re: Teeth Issues post RS
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:57:44 pm »
Tooth #18 is on the right side while your tumor was on the left side. I would say they are unrelated. Also, your tumor was small so it's unlikely to have irritated the trigeminal nerve.

For those with a medium to large tumor, double check any tooth pain on the same side as the tumor, both if you've had surgery or not.

amyneely

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 09:19:25 pm »
Actually, tooth #18, is also known as the 2nd molar, is on the lower left. Again, I had a large bruise on my lip. There had to have been pressure on that side.

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 10:36:12 pm »
If your tumor and tooth are on the same side, the pain could be referred pain. That is, not tooth pain. Your dentist may be able to work out which.

amyneely

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 08:23:06 am »
Thank you! I did not know if others had similar experiences.

amyneely

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 12:04:53 pm »
Update
Went to the endodontist who pulled my tooth as I am experiencing so much pain. My trigeminal nerve was traumatized, causing my tooth to abscess and subsequent pain. Steroids and pain pills and an ocean of hope this does the trick.

chrisabbott

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 03:56:58 pm »
Hi - I can relate to the "concrete being poured in my head" sensation.  I have noticed that I do not have that for the whole side of my head and ear anymore, although I have some areas around my ear, and I've experienced a variety of sensations including pulling, dragging, and strong prickles while this was going on.  I had my surgery June 13th so I'm guessing some of this is inflammation &/or things just settling back into place. 
Strange tastes, facial numbness symptoms led to MRI 3/2019: 2.4 x 3.2 x 2.6 cm VS on left side
Left hearing went 4/2019
Translab 06132019:  1.4 x 2.4 x 1.6 cm residual stuck to facial nerve & brain stem
MRI 12122019:  1.6 x 3.2 x 2.3 cm
Translab 01132020:  0.1 x 0.75 x 0.57 + 1.5 x 0.5 cm
GK next

amyneely

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 05:56:11 pm »
Thank you for responding! Fingers crossed with time we'll both feel better!