Author Topic: Tarsorrhaphy questions for those who have had it.  (Read 3149 times)

JackJack

Tarsorrhaphy questions for those who have had it.
« on: April 13, 2019, 02:04:49 pm »
Greetings friends. I do not suffer from AN, but I do have a very frustrating outer corner of my eye lid condition caused by previous surgeries in that area. Certain eye doctors have told me that doing a small tarsorhaphy would help it.  I understand that this is a procedure that is sometimes undergone by AN sufferers. For those of you who have doen this, I am curious about the following:

1. Appearance: For those who have done a small one, was your appearance tolerable? I'm not terribly concerned about this, I'm 60 years old - but it didn't make you look like a freak did it?

2.  Reverse it: I have heard that it is reverseable, which I may need to do if it does nto work to help my condition. for those of you who have done this - i.e. reverse teh procedure - did that work out ok?

3. Did the final result irritate your eyeball in any way?

Many thanks for any help offered.

Jack

mandy721

Re: Tarsorrhaphy questions for those who have had it.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:17:16 am »
Hi Jack,
My husband had a tarsorrhaphy done after his AN surgery which affected his right eye's  blink.  The procedure helped as his lower lid had drooped significantly due to nerve damage.  After the procedure,  the appearance of the right eye was a bit different than the left, but over time it relaxed and matched the non-affected one. Definitely did not look freakish.  The final result helped to manage the constant irritation caused by incomplete blinking.
No experience with reversing the procedure.
I love looking at people and notice many faces with slight asymmetrical features.  it adds character and  makes us unique.
It sounds like you have consulted with a number of doctors.  My recommendation is to use  a highly experienced occuplastic surgeon. 
Hope this information is useful,
Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

JackJack

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 04:23:59 pm »
Hi Jack,
My husband had a tarsorrhaphy done after his AN surgery which affected his right eye's  blink.  The procedure helped as his lower lid had drooped significantly due to nerve damage.  After the procedure,  the appearance of the right eye was a bit different than the left, but over time it relaxed and matched the non-affected one. Definitely did not look freakish.  The final result helped to manage the constant irritation caused by incomplete blinking.
No experience with reversing the procedure.
I love looking at people and notice many faces with slight asymmetrical features.  it adds character and  makes us unique.
It sounds like you have consulted with a number of doctors.  My recommendation is to use  a highly experienced occuplastic surgeon. 
Hope this information is useful,
Miranda

Many thanks Mandy! That was the kind of encouraging commetn I was hoping for. xx

Sanderson

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 10:13:54 pm »
I had it done. My eyes are symmetric with each other. My only issue with it is that I have bad peripheral vision in the one eye when driving. It makes freeway driving difficult. I am going to have it reversed and have a weight put in my lid. I’m super concerned about doing this. I’m afraid I’m having a grass is greener moment with the eye weight. I want my peripheral vision back. Hmmm! So confused!
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!