Author Topic: Facial Paralysis/Facial Spasms After Mid-Fossa Surgery  (Read 1400 times)

trottej

Facial Paralysis/Facial Spasms After Mid-Fossa Surgery
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:32:29 pm »
Hello,
I had surgery on January 14th for a 10mm Acoustic Neuroma on the left side. They told me that I had a good twitch when they tested the facial nerve after closing. Post-op my mouth was very droopy and I couldn’t close my eye due to the lower lid drooping. I am now 10 weeks post-op and my mouth is basically symmetrical, my nasolabial folds are back, and my eye is closing a little better, but the lower lid is still droopy. With my eye I am using less drops now and have an external eye weight to help it close better and look more even. I really am disappointed and thought I would be farther along at this point.  I am also experiencing intermittent spasms in my chin and upper lip/nasolabial fold.  My questions are:  Are these spasms normal, indicating that the nerve is “waking up” and has any one else experienced them?  Also, how long has it taken for people’s facial nerve palsey to resolve? Am I expecting too much for 10 weeks pos-op?
Thanks for your help,
Jenn Trotte

tdcottongim

Re: Facial Paralysis/Facial Spasms After Mid-Fossa Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 06:32:21 pm »
Hi Jenn,
I also had middle fossa surgery but with only a 7mm tumor.  According to the surgeon's report, both balance nerves were cut but the facial and hearing nerves were left whole.  However, I too experienced facial palsy (on the left side).  My local doctor explained that the surgery undoubtedly "bruised" the facial nerve but that it would improve and heal.  I contacted the surgeon and he prescribed a couple of series of steroids, which helped and the palsy eventually cleared.  I would obtain the surgeon's report to see if the facial nerve was damaged in the surgery.  If not, I would contact your surgeon and see if he/she recommends steroid treatments to help the healing process.

Good luck on your recovery.

Tim Cottongim
April 2018 surgery survivor
Juneau, AKB