Author Topic: Diagnosed last month  (Read 1894 times)

musicmaker

Diagnosed last month
« on: March 02, 2019, 08:07:34 pm »
I was recently diagnosed last month and already experiencing several symptoms (dizziness, hearing loss, facial paralysis, sensitive to noise, numbness in ear). Every week I have a new symptom. This week it is fatigue, but the symptom that really bugs me the most is I have a metallic taste on my tongue and nothing I eat taste the same. Is this metallic taste due to the AN and has anyone else developed this symptom. My AN is considered small, 1.2 cm.

gary.s

Re: Diagnosed last month
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 08:47:19 am »
Yes musicmaker, all of your symptoms including the metallic taste are very similar to mine. I have lost most of my taste ability which is a bummer because I like all kinds of food. I had the metallic taste prior to being diagnosed, and still have it from time to time. The variety of symptoms we get relates to the location of the tumor. So we all have similar or differing symptoms. Hang in there, you are not alone.

Gary

Mild symptoms on right side July 2014
CK April 16-20, 2018, Barrow Neurological Institute
9/2018 hearing aid Phonak Audeo B and Cros B

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:42:58 pm »
I also have altered taste. Sweet foods are particularly altered.

The altered taste should only be on one side of your tongue and the front two-thirds of it. I did not localize it to one side for over a year (and before diagnosis). Noting that it was only on one side was what made me investigate further the declining hearing on one side that resulted in my diagnosis in August 2016.

If you are like me, if you rub the edge of your tongue on your teeth, only one side will have a unusual effect.

It affects me less now since firstly I've gotten used to it and secondly I noticed that I only eat sweet food on one side of my mouth. I didn't consciously do this.

musicmaker

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 08:53:19 pm »
Thank you so much for responding to my post. I'm glad to know the reason for my metallic taste.