Author Topic: Please recommend a good AN team in Dallas Texas  (Read 2779 times)

Pbellovin

Please recommend a good AN team in Dallas Texas
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:02:42 am »
Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Acoustic Neuroma team in Dallas Texas?  I was diagnosed a month ago with a 1.8 cm  tumor and would like to get a couple of recommendations for a first and second opinion

notaclone13

Re: Please recommend a good AN team in Dallas Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 12:21:22 pm »
I entered Dallas in the search box in the upper right corner and came across this post from 2014 from a member called TSS.  I pasted it below:

TSS

Re: Experiences with Doctors in Dallas, TX Area
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:38:31 pm »
After consulting with Dr. Finn (neurosurgeon) and Dr. O'Conner (radiosurgeon) at Baylor downtown I elected CK with Dr. O'Conner.  Neurosurgeon in so many words recommended radiation and that was the tiebreaker for me.  I started out 2.5 CM last Summer and MRI in April ' 14 down to 2.0 (9 mos later);   experience has been very satisfactory.   Best of Luck!

If you enter TSS in the search box you can see all her posts. She was 49 yo and had a 2.5 cm AN that subsequently shrank to 1.9 cm following CK.  I have also seen posts about Dr. Bruce E Mickey in Dallas.  You might also want to consider getting a second opinion in Houston as many posters on the forum have had excellent treatment there.  On another note, because of your age and tumor size, you are a good candidate for radiosurgery.  One of my friends had her 1.7 cm AN treated by Cyberknife 3 years ago.  She was 68 at the time and is now 72. She had no significant side-effects from the treatment except one brief episode of facial spasms and that occurred only once.  Her AN has shrunk in size and although she lost some hearing in the affected ear immediately after CK, she retains some hearing and it has actually improved over time.

I believe there is an AN support group in Dallas.  You should consider going to one of their meetings so you can exchange treatment info with others in your city.  I am sure you are a good candidate for Cyberknife and judging by what TSS posted, she had a good outcome. Since you are newly diagnosed, you might want to wait 6 months and get another MRI to see if the AN is actually growing. Luckily these little buggers tend to grow slowly and you have a little time to consider your options. If it is not growing, you may want to wait it out a little bit depending on whether the AN is nearing the brain stem. What did the first group of doctors that you saw recommend?

Pbellovin

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:29:09 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I did meet with the team of Coimbra, O’Connor, and Hahn at MedicalCity Dallas, and was quite impressed with them. However it seems to be the general consensus that I should get a second opinion and was hoping that someone in Dallas could recommend another AN team to me. I have chosen to pursue the “wait and see “ option for now and get a second MRI in April. Thank you again for your response to me. Actually the doctors were hesitant to recommend one procedure over another to me (I assumed it was possibly due to any kind of malpractice “.  The decision was left up to me which is one reason why I am seeking a second opinion
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:38:01 pm by Pbellovin »

tinnitus2017

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 11:27:09 pm »
Hello, I am in Dallas and am watch and wait. I have been seeing Dr. Isaacson and Dr. Barnett at UTSW. I have done consultations at Johns Hopkins and the House Clinic, but I am happy with my UTSW team for now. The doctor I saw at Johns Hopkins knew of Dr Isaacson, and said I was in good hands in Dallas.