Author Topic: Cyst?  (Read 5185 times)

Justasis

Cyst?
« on: November 21, 2006, 07:26:00 pm »
My sister was diagnosed a year ago with a "large" AN.  We were told a few months ago that it had grown 5cm and she had gammaknife last month.  She went downhill quickly and had an MRI done Saturday.  She had to be admitted to the hospital today because she was unable to walk, (too weak and off balance).  The doctor told her today that there is some type of growth on the outside of the tumor, he said it was like a cyst  Has anyone heard of this before? 

Mindy

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Cyst?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:31:07 pm »
5cm seems a bit too large for just gamma knife. Mine was at 5cm and I had problems walking. That's for sure! She probably needs surgery.

Not sure what to say.     Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:39:38 pm »
Mindy,
  I'm assuming that you meant 5 mm (rather than 5 cm), which is 1/2 cm.  In some of the things I've read, cysts where descibed as fluid filled.  I'm guessing that this "cyst" is pressing on some of the cranial nerves around the tumor.  I'm also guessing (I'm certainly not a doctor) that they will suggest some steriods to try and reduce swelling long enough to see if the cyst will perhaps deflate.  If it doesn't deflate, and continues to cause major problems they may recommend surgery.
  It's not unusual for an AN tumor to swell for a while after radiosurgery, so I'm hoping that these symptoms are temproary for your sister.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

windinthesails

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:12:03 pm »
Hi Mindy,
   When I had my MRI done they found a cyst as well as the tumor. I was told that a cyst is just like a fluid filled sac and told me it was nothing to be too worried about. Hopefully your sister gets better soon.

Mary
4cm AN on Right Side
Partial Surgery 3/22/06, Gamma Knife 6/25/06
Sutter Cancer Center Sacramento, Dr. Ciricillo Neurologist

lmurray69

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 09:43:59 pm »
  Hi Mendy, I also have a cyst mine was above my tumor and I had surgery and they removed the tumor but could not reach the cyst,  The DR said it would not cause me any problem . I am only 21 day postop LindaOh also I should te;; you I had radiation in 2005 of feb.. The tumor was growing  so i got it removed..
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

okiesandy

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 10:58:27 am »
Cystic AN's are quite common. Mine was cystic and I had Cyberknife in Jan. 05. The cyst seems to be shrinking along with the AN. Your sister may be haveing some swelling issues with the whole tumor. I she on steroids?

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 11:13:55 am »

5cm ? .. are you sure ??? .. GK on a 5cm is a bit shocking .. maybe it was 3cm when we started GK and it grew to 5cm? what age is your sister?

GK would have a little swelling ..  in turn would cause more symptoms .. like having trouble walking , hearing ... etc ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Sam Rush

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:14:53 am »
 5 cm is too big for gamma knife in a person healthy enough for surgery.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05