Author Topic: Post-Surgery Fatigue  (Read 1968 times)

Anne Amis

Post-Surgery Fatigue
« on: December 19, 2018, 08:58:22 am »
Hello all,
I'm about 7 weeks past surgery and am still on FMLA leave from work. I return to my full time job on January 3. I'm wondering about fatigue and low energy and what I should expect -- when will I/might I feel back to normal or is will diminished energy be a new normal? I know that this will get better as my surgery is still pretty recent, but I'd like to let the people I work with know what my limits are going back to work (I'm an administrator at a community college and am on email and in meetings all the time where response rates are expected to be pretty immediate, even outside of working hours). I'm find that if I do one or two activities in the day (like go to the grocery store or drive a short distance, which I started doing about two weeks ago), I am wiped out for the rest of the day. I am walking 1-2 miles most days and just started back into some gentle yoga and movement.

Any suggestions on how to best increase energy levels, treat fatigue? For some reason, too, it seems like I can't sleep as much -- I'm getting between 6-7 hours most nights, (whereas before getting between 7-8 was more normal) and some nights, I'm waking up in the middle of the night (3:00 or 4:00am) and can't get back to sleep. Any suggestions on diet to increase energy? I'm cutting sugar and carbs but am curious if anyone has any advice.

Thanks in advance!
AN 2.1cm right ear diagnosed 11/2104; no symptoms
Watched and waited four years; stable and no symptoms
AN growth to 2.39 cm detected 9/2018
Retrosigmoid Surgery done at MD Anderson 11/1/2018
Tumor fully removed; near to total hearing loss right ear; facial nerves issues; fatigue

MT

• Hoping to recover from facial palsy...
Re: Post-Surgery Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:35:13 am »
Hello Anne,

Your fatigue will go with time so don't rush. Take care of your nutrition, and increase activity levels gradually. If possible do morning walks as it will help (IMHO). Recovery is a marathon as I have realized.

Good luck.
No symptoms except mild hearing loss
RS procedure on 26-Oct-18 (2.7 x 2.5 cm AN)
Deafness and facial palsy on right side
26-Feb-19 MRI showed 0.8 cm of leftover tumor
Slight movement on ~7-Jul-19 but mostly paralyzed

Full story:
https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=24255.msg97977829

v357139

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:41:30 pm »
Anne,
Each person is different.  But if you are feeling that fatigued, perhaps cut the walking back to half mile?  You could be overtaxing yourself, and your body is telling you with fatigue.  Perhaps you are pushing too hard.  While I was off, I took 2-3 naps per day.  Maybe try that, and it could make up for the less sleep you are getting at night.  My regimen was wake up, eat breakfast, balance exercises, nap, eat lunch, short walk, nap, eat dinner, TV, go to bed for night.  Try those naps.  I'd be interested in hearing how it goes.
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

mmori

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 03:18:02 pm »
Hi Anne,

My husband is 4 months post op and still battling fatigue and "fuzziness" as he calls it. His job requires a lot of computer work and traveling as well so I think it's been hard for him to give himself time to rest. I'm interested to see what other responses you get as we are battling the same issue. I hope it gets better for you (and him!). I know how hard it has been for him so I understand how you must be feeling. Good luck!