Author Topic: Depression 10 yrs post surgery  (Read 8759 times)

Dday

Depression 10 yrs post surgery
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:17:50 am »
 It's been a while since I've visited/posted, and Dec 18th will be 10 yrs since my AN surgery. Depression has been slowly creeping in on me over the last 4 or so years, and has seemed to finally hit to the point where I feel the need to seek help. Fatigue, very sporadic (if any) motivation toward the things I've always enjoyed doing, feeling of distance/disassociation from family and friends (that's a HUGE one for me as my immediate family is small-my son, wife, mom, and uncle), and generally feeling "lost" have made me realize this. I'm guessing that medication may be in my future (which I HATE the idea of, side-effects and all). I'd appreciate it if anyone could share their experiences with me regarding this. Thanks!

Patti

Re: Depression 10 yrs post surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:27:54 pm »
I hate needing medication also but it helps so much.  Would you feel the same way if it were insulin you needed to keep you healthy?  After my surgery i was depressed and my doctor put me on lexapro 20 mg. It worked like a charm and no side effects.  I have since cut the dose down to 10 mg successfully, but only after years of 20 mg.  Do it! Don't let depression ruin your life.  Talk therapy helps too!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

notaclone13

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 12:46:00 pm »
Patti's post is right on. Just because you need some medication to help with your current state doesn't mean you will need to be on it forever.  Depression is a very real medical condition that stems from a chemical imbalance in the brain.  It is not a sign of weakness to need medication to help depression anymore than it is a sign of weakness to take an antibiotic if you have an infection. One of my friends who was working full time, taking graduate classes and going through a contemptuous divorce found himself unable to get out of bed anymore. The stress wore him down to the point that he could no longer function. They put him on Prozac and 5 days later he was back at work. He could not believe how quickly he improved. It literally saved his career. Why not try it and see if it helps. By the way, if there were any side-effect, he didn't mention them.

Eturnit

• The joy of the LORD is my strength!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 09:38:15 pm »
This June marks my 10 year post-op anniversary of my A.N. excision. I am so glad you shared about your depression because I too have been been struggling with it way too long. I just confessed my struggles with my grown children last week and will be seeking help. :(