Author Topic: Not sure if I fit- can you please help?  (Read 3473 times)

kmillhone

Not sure if I fit- can you please help?
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:13:28 pm »
Hey everyone,

I don't know if I have an AN...I have an appt. tomorrow w/an ENT to check my hearing.  However, when I googled my symptoms, AN kept popping up over and over again, so I'm a little scared.  One reason I think I may not have AN is b/c my symptoms seem to be intermittent, so I decided to ask around.

For about the past year or so, I've had these episodes where my left ear would feel like I'm hearing through a pillow...it would feel like I was going to have a head rush, but only on my left side.  My ear goes numb, as well as the side of my check and jaw.  This lasts for a few minutes.  However, at least twice, including yesterday morning, it's lasted longer- 30 minutes or more.  It's the weirdest feeling.  I don't know if I have true hearing loss, but my hearing does diminish during these times.  Like, when I scratch behind my ear, I can't hear it.  But, then it comes back to normal.  There is no pain at all- just diminished hearing and a numb ear/side of face.  I've always had headaches, so there is nothing out of the ordinary with those.  Also, I've always been accident prone and don't think I've been more-so now than normal.  I do occasionally hear...things...like wind or the-ocean-through-a-shell...sometimes buzzing...but nothing that ever really concerned me since it didn't last for too long.

Since yesterday's episode kinda freaked me out, I decided to do some research.  I googled: ear face numbness hearing loss.... and hit after hit was acoustic neuroma.  Scared the crap out of me!  I'll know for sure tomorrow if I have true hearing loss, but since my "hearing loss" seems intermittent, I don't know if it quite fits the AN definition. 

So, please, any help you can give me would be appreciated.  Have any of you experienced these things?

TIA!

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Not sure if I fit- can you please help?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:28:30 pm »
Hi Tia - all I had as symptoms was constant tinnitus and right sided hearing loss, nothing else.  The hearing test showed a big discrepancy between left and right side, which put me in the MRI with contrast line, which diagnosed acoustic neuroma.  You won't know what it is till the MRI.    Other people have had facial numbness, balance issues pre surg, not me. 

Wishing you all the best, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:35:08 pm »

odd's are , its NOT an AN .. could be an infection .. or many other things can cause these symptoms .. see an ENT and get a MRI w/contrast ... that will show if its a tumor or not very easily

Let us know!!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:35:56 pm »
Hi Tia

Are you a  Sue Grafton fan?  

I could have diagnosed myself also if I'd googled all the symptoms I was having.   I just concentrated on tinnitus for some reason and so didn't find this site until after my MRI.  I have discovered that just about anything is possible with these AN's.  Everyone seems to have slightly different symptoms, different degrees of those symptoms and just when you think you've heard about everything, then along comes somebody with symptoms different from THAT.  So, it's entirely possible you have an Acouctic Neuroma or you may have something else.  An MRI with contrast is the only way to find out for sure.  Let us know how this all comes out for you.  We are here if you have further questions.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

kmillhone

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 01:10:37 pm »
Thanks for your feeback guys  :)  Yes, Sue, I am a Grafton fan!  I just finished re-reading the series a couple weeks ago  ;D

Joef, I really hope you are right.  I personally ruled out infection b/c there is no pain and there was no indication of an infection during my last physical about 2 months ago (I've been having these episodes for a while...), although ya never know!! Stranger things have happened! Another thing I thought it could be was a migraine...but I don't have the headache part of it.  I don't know how likely it could be, but if that's what's happening to me, then I could live with that!  Literally!  ;)

I do know I have issues w/my eustachian tubes...I used to dive and had the hardest time equalizing...  The ENT said my tubes were almost closed...anyway, something to get checked out tomorrow...

So, I won't worry for reals until after my appointment(s) (that's going to be my mantra).  I will definitely request an MRI just to be absolutely sure.  Hopefully I can get one before the end of the year...deductables and all... Again, thank you for your feedback! I'll post my results from my ENT.  *fingers crossed*

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 01:55:44 am »
Hi Tia

I finished the "S" book a few weeks ago.  I've only read the series once, however!!  I like the last book. I've liked most of them, I guess. 

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving,

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Obita

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:24:27 am »
kmillhone:

Good luck today.  Remind your ENT to order your MRI with contrast if he/she feels your hearing test suggests the neuroma.  I hope it is not an AN.  Just last week, someone on here got the all clear and he had all the classic AN symptoms.  It turned out to be a inner ear virus.  I wish the same for you!!

My facial symptoms, tinnitus, and wierd in the head feelings were intermittant.  That is why I ignored what turned out to be AN symptoms for a year.

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Laura

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 07:01:40 am »
Hi Tia. My symptoms were intermittent for years so the doctors kept telling me I had allergies. Make sure you request an MRI with contrast to rule out the possibility of the nasty AN!
Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind