Author Topic: Extra sleep during GK recovery period  (Read 1603 times)

buzneg

Extra sleep during GK recovery period
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:39:48 pm »
How important do you guys feel getting extra sleep during GK recovery is? 

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:43:10 pm by buzneg »
March 1, 2018 - Hearing loss left side, acute vertigo
March 2, 2018 - MRI show 13 x 7 mm AN (probably growing)
May 2018 - ENT/audiologist indicate 100% hearing loss on left side is permanent
June 29, 2018 -  GK at Wake Forest in NC
Dec.2018 -  MRI shows zero growth
Jan.2020 MRI shows tumor shrinking

Echo

Re: Extra sleep during GK recovery period
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 08:38:57 am »
I would say very important.  I found exhaustion to be one of my biggest hurdles post Gamma Knife for the first 1.5 years.
The only way I could function was to have a rest at noon so I could get through my work day.  I was in bed usually by 9:30 most nights just so I could get up at 6 a.m.   Let your body be your gage.  If you feel fine and are not struggling with exhaustion, then carry on as per usual.  If you are fighting with exhaustion, then rest when you can, get more sleep when you can - your body is recovering and we all recover differently. 

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

gary.s

Re: Extra sleep during GK recovery period
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:14:23 am »
Hi buzneg,

I had Cyber Knife in April 2018 and still find myself falling asleep during the afternoons. For the first couple of months post CK, I was falling asleep on the couch once or twice every afternoon. When you are feeling tired, let your body rest. Radiation takes a lot out of us, probably more than we realize. When you add in the anxiety related to having an acoustic neuroma, it makes sense to need rest. Keep in mind that our brains are working real hard to compensate for all the issues that the tumor is causing. It is like over working a muscle, we just get exhausted. So rest when you feel the need to and things will be okay. Be well and be strong.

Gary
Mild symptoms on right side July 2014
CK April 16-20, 2018, Barrow Neurological Institute
9/2018 hearing aid Phonak Audeo B and Cros B