Author Topic: CSF leak question, please help  (Read 2599 times)

Trinityfilled

CSF leak question, please help
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:31 pm »
I had my translab surgery with Dr Friedman and Dr Schwartz on Aug 7th. The day they took my sutures out, I immediately started leaking csf from the incision site. Dr Saliba, the Dr who works with Dr Friedman stitched up the 2 places I was leaking from again and they let me come home to NY the next day with instructions to have the new sutures removed in about 2 weeks. Wondering if anyone has had this happen before and if the stitches were a successful? I read a statistic that conservative measures for treatment of csf leaks are only successful about 25% of the time?!?! That makes me super nervous since I live across the country from UCSD.
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.

v357139

Re: CSF leak question, please help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 08:38:04 pm »
I have no info on that sorry.  Who is going to remove the stitches?  Maybe good to have someone who is familiar with AN to do it?  That might give you a better level of comfort.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Trinityfilled

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:29:26 am »
Yes, my previous neurosurgeon is going to remove the new stitches  :)
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.

Abetpds

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 11:29:00 am »
I remember asking Dr Friedman after my surgery on June 26th what I would do if, after I returned home to GA i had some issues with the surgery like csf leaks, severe pain etc.  Would I have to return to UCSD  He said that he knew few doctors in GA that he would recommend me to go to.  Maybe ask him if he knows someone in the NY area that he would recommend.  I'd feel better that he's involved in picking my doctor.

Trinityfilled

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:30:08 pm »
Yes, I did that too. He actually recommended my previous neurosurgeon  :)

kgs123

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 07:12:45 pm »
Just reading this now. I had something similar and had to go back in for a second surgery to repair the CSF leak. Mine was external when so many other people's CSF leak was internal. How did you fare? How are you doing now?

PranaRN

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 03:53:49 pm »
Hi!  I’m just reading this. I had a CSF leak.  Went and had a stitch put in to stop it.  I was admitted and spent 5 weeks in hospital. I had two more surgeries. They had to put a plate in to hold it all together!!  It worked!  Hope you are doing well. Best wishes.