Author Topic: are you still as sharp mentally ?  (Read 452 times)

marvin65

are you still as sharp mentally ?
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:02:30 pm »
I am wondering whether after surgery, you find that mentally, it makes you think slower
 or come up with words ? 

JD808

Re: are you still as sharp mentally ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:51:45 pm »
Yes, 3 weeks out from my Translab my cognitive skills are still strong. Fatigue is a real issue though that does impact mental acuity when it sets in.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

marvin65

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:25:14 pm »
JD808.  Then I think my verbal skills( choice of words) are affected bec it affected my cerebellum. In my MRI scan after 2 months shows some white area in the cerebellum. It affects coordination.  Sort of like a ministroke. Not everyone is affected the same way. Thanks for your feedback.     

Patti

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 06:11:09 am »
yes! i have never been the same.  maybe because of hydrocephallus or other complications. but i had to stop being a teacher. 
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Surfer

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 11:22:59 am »
Two years post op.  4.2 cm.tumor- sub total. No surgery complications to note.  58 years old.  Athletic.

No!  My memory and abilities are definitely compromised.  Searching for words and typing is a challenge.  It was more significant during the first year,  It's gotten better, but still a problem.  Fatigue and wonky head is with me most of the time.

I think the damage was done by the tumor size impinging on my brainstem.  That's just a hunch.  No one has ever explained the physical reason why? What I keep hearing is that we are all different. With that being said, I am fortunate with the positive outcome.  It's helpful for me to know I am not alone in this struggle.  Thank you for posting.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 01:23:00 pm »
Finding words, especially when speaking,  is at time challenging. I passed my 11 year anniversary July 2nd so don't expect any more improvement thanwhat I've had to this point.

I once asked my daughter to sharpen my toes instead of saying tie my shoes. Toes and tie start the same as does sharpen and shoes. Random words that start with same letter or blend will pop out in sentences. Used to be several times a day, every day. Now maybe 3 or 4 times a week. Sometimes it can be funny. Sometimes embarrassing. I just roll with it.

Still have headaches of varying degrees daily. When they're bad I confuse things. I'll be doing something and stop midway to figure out what it is I'm suppose to be doing. My short term memory is shot.

I get down sometimes but for most part just go on with life muddling through as best I can. My post AN surgery idiosyncrasies have become my norm to the point family and friends no longer even comment when I do things that are odd or say things not just right.

And my daughter's locally famous quote, out of  the mouth of a then 8 year old when I'd complain about some post surgery problems, still holds..... "But you're still breathing" and I'm thankful for that.
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MarlaB

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 04:49:19 pm »
Where is the "like" button for that post? Thank you Soundy!!

marvin65

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 02:36:58 pm »
Thank you all for posting a reply. I also am thankful  of result I have even though I have this weakness area . Just help me to be reminded always and not forget about what have happen in my life. Seeing people post even after many years just goes to show the impact it has in our life.

anything