Author Topic: 2.5 Weeks Post-Op  (Read 2889 times)

JD808

2.5 Weeks Post-Op
« on: August 06, 2018, 05:20:55 pm »
So, I thought it might be helpful to memorialize my experiences now that I’m 2.5 weeks post op. Surgery was on July 17th at UCSD with Friedman and Schwartz (the Dream Team). By way of background, I had what was referred to as a “small” (about 1.5cm x 1.2cm) AN in my right IAC. Prior to surgery I had lost all hearing in my right ear, suffered from tinnitus, ever worsening balance, and was experiencing some facial nerve symptoms. All of these symptoms developed over about a year and the actual AN diagnosis was only 3 months prior to the surgery.

After the initial shock, I used this site extensively to research and learn about this rare condition. I found the doctors that I wanted to interview, and I learned the different treatment protocols along with the watch and wait alternative. Given the evolving symptom set, all of the doctors I interviewed weren’t comfortable watching and wanting to see what else the tumor negatively impacted.

After settling on the Friedman/Schwartz dream team, we set a date for the surgery and I began my pre-operative preparations. I started doing some vestibular rehab exercises on the thinking that it couldn’t hurt and it might help. Most of my high intensity exercise activities (crossfit, mountain biking, etc) had fallen by the side as the tumor started impacting me. It often felt like the tinnitus and dizziness just got worse the harder I would work out. So, I switched to walking and my goal was 4 miles/day prior to the surgery.

As the surgery day neared, I had my phone consult with the anesthesia team and we finalized our hotel dates. We decided to depart 2 days after our last appointment with the doctors just in case there were any complication. My wife and kids all traveled with me to San Diego and we stayed at the Hyatt where the view from our room was ironicallly the UCSD medical center. On the day before the surgery, we met with the surgeons one last time to go over any last questions and/or concerns. At this point, the questions were more specific than before and included the size of the incision on the side of my head, and the size and my preferred location for the one on my belly. Both doctors did a great job, but couldn’t help themselves by repeatedly referring to my AN as a small one and that it would be no problem. The last appointment of the day was with the PT team so that they could establish a baseline before the surgery. As usual, their tests surprised me by showing just how badly my balance had deteriorated. I could not stand heel to toe at all without falling over was just one example that surprised me.

The night before surgery, we decided to have a big steak dinner with our family and friends from the area. It was a great way to take my mind off of the impending surgery, and as a result I slept very well that night. Morning was at 4:30 so that we could make our 5:20 check in for our 7:20 surgery. The entire process and the entire UCSD facility was impressive. A purpose built healing facility that is warm and inviting at the same time. They even thought about areas for the family to gather and to lay down if necessary. I have to admit that my anxiety level was elevated that morning as they finally took me back to the pre-op room and set me up with my IV. It was at that moment that the significance of what was about to happen hit me. After signing all of the necessary consent forms, and speaking with the surgeons where I reiterated the importance of protecting the facial nerve, I met last with the anesthesia team. They had a number of questions for me and talked me through what would be happening next. Once everyone said their goodbyes, I was wheeled into the operating room, and within a few minutes I was out like a light.

When I woke up, it felt like 5 minutes had passed, but there was my wife and the doctors. The thing I noticed immediately was that the world wasn’t spinning at all. One of the great mysteries going into the surgery was just how badly the vestibular nerve had been damaged by the AN. If it was significant, the doctors felt my risk or spending weeks post op in a spin cycle would be low. Because I had already lost 100% of my hearing, the Translab approach was the consensus amongst all of the teams we consulted with. In that approach, the vestibular nerve will be cut, and in my case, we would soon find out, it actually made my life much easier.

Once I was coherent, the first thing I remember hearing was someone saying that the surgery went well, but that they were surprised to see just how involved such a small tumor was with the facial nerve. In order to protect that nerve, only 80% of the AN was removed. At this point, I recall Dr. Friedman commenting on how lucky I was to have such an experienced surgeon in Dr. Schwartz because he had seen other neurosurgeons faced with similar situations refuse to even attempt any removal. I was instantly filled with relief and anxiety at the same time. Yes, I completely agreed with Dr. Friedman. Dr. Schwartz is the best, and I was lucky to have him at my table working on my tumor. But, at the same time, the thought that this just might not be over was depressing me.

Off to the ICU I went and what an ICU it was! The day nurses were amazing and experienced (the one night nurse my first night was a traveling nurse wasn’t that great as she didn’t know the condition at all). Initially, I kept expecting the world to start spinning, but it never did and I eventually grew to trust that it wouldn’t start. The pain was an issue, but so was the discomfort and for someone who has very little prior experience with drugs - they just suck. When I was able to, I asked for some jello to eat and noticed for the first time that I had a metallic taste on the right side of my mouth. Dr. Schwartz would later say that it was somewhat common when they have to work that closely with the facial nerve. He thought it would eventually fade in a few months.

I basically just laid in bed the rest of the surgery day and night with the nurses doing a check on vitals and Nuero every hour. Even if I was able to sleep, it would have been impossible with someone waking you hourly. Fentanyl was also administered hourly for pain as needed. It never seemed to do much for me. The next morning I was greeted by a PT team member who was there to do an assessment. Her goal was to get me sitting up. In the end, we ended up doing 2 walking laps around the ICU wing. Me walking and she carrying my EKG monitor and my pee bag (forgot to mention the Foley catheter- so did the doctors - surprise). Needless to say, the PT folks were ecstatic.

Pain or I should say pressure was starting to be an issue, but the hospital bed with its ability to sit me at a higher angle was masking some of it (an issue that would hit hard when we left). I continued to do my walks per the PT prescription and the doctors and nurses were all excited that I was doing so well. As you might imagine the push to move me out of the ICU and the hospital started pretty soon thereafter. At 3am my second night in the ICU, I was moved out of the ICU and into a step down unit. The team there was very nice, but the 3am relocation wasn’t great. PT came back that morning and walked me through several more tests to include stairs and some hand/eye coordination checks. They then cleared me for release. It really was amazing how much better my balance felt than before the surgery.

Just after lunch, 2 of the team member doctors from Dr. Friedman’s came to remove the pressure dressing on my head and to check on my abdomen incision. They thought both incisions looked great and suggested that I might be better off outside the hospital at this point given the pace of my recovery to date. I was a bit apprehensive about leaving so soon, but their mention that hospitals are the #1 source of anti-biotic resistant bacteria pushed me to the side of simply checking out. Once that decision was made, it took about another 2 hours to officially be sprung from the hospital.

I immediately learned that the hospital was a safe and controlled environment. The real world was filled with potholes, speed bumps, cars accelerating, car braking, and generally bad pavement. One thing I noticed quite early was the pain associated with the incision and it’s impact on my next muscles. Just trying to hold my head still was uncomfortable on the ride back to the hotel. Once we got there, my issues only got worse. The pain and discomfort quickly went from 4-5 on the 1-10 scale to 8-9 and the only position that worked for me was sitting up. My wife was in touch with the doctors on an hourly basis it seems and they suggested a steriod course to bring the inflammation down as I was complaining of pressure and throbbing. Some had said the belly incision would be the one that bothered me. It never did, it was always the head incision. After 3 days on high doses of Prednisone, I ended up with a Thrush infection in my mouth and some improvement in the pain and pressure. The doctors also suggested I try Tylenol rather than the opioids as it was better for this kind of issue. I didn’t mind not taking the opioids as there weren’t doing me any good and the constipating side effect is just not worth it when you get no relief.

I was pretty miserable and a pretty bad patient I’m told, but 5-6 days of nearly no sleep because you can only feel slightly better when you are propped up in a sitting position along with pain and head pressure is a recipe for an angry patient in my book. Finally, a week after my surgery, seeing no improvement to my pain, my wife took me in to see Dr. Friedman. (She wanted to take me earlier, but I just kept hoping it would get better out of fear of another “procedure”). After talking with us and examining the incision site (essentially pushing his fingers into my head), he was able to determine that I was dealing with fluid swelling at the incision site (not a leak mind you) and that this was increasing cranial pressure. He prescribed water pills to bring down the cranial pressure. I took my first water pill that afternoon at 1pm, and by 3pm my wife said she had her old husband back again. It was like the clouds had finally parted and  the sun was out again. The pain dropped down to the 2-4 range and it was totally manageable with the Tylenol. As each day passed, the water pills only made things better. The next day was our post op with the surgeons and the PT Team.

I had to admit to the PT team that I had done none of their exercises because of the pain issue. They ran me through the same diagnostic tests as before the surgery and were blown away at where I was without doing any of the exercises. They identified 2 areas that I still needed to focus on and gave me a set of exercises to work on specifically.

Both doctors were pleased with the progress, confirmed the diagnosis and the Diamox water pill treatment plan, AND wanted me to get an MRI to rule out the possibility that a vein in my head was blocked as a result of the surgery and causing the pressure. The last bit threw me for a loop as we were set to leave in 2 days and a clean MRI would be a requirement before we could leave. THANK GOODNESS for the amazing folks at UCSD who upon learning of our travel situation were able to squeeze us in the very next day for that MRI. The results showed no blockage, so I was given my wings to head back home to Hawaii.

Since getting home, I have been diligently walking about 2 miles a day, resting, and trying to do my PT exercises (those things tire me out soooo fast). It has been a real challenge to avoid any exertion, but I really don’t want to have a CFS leak so the caution is worth it. I’ve just seen too many stories of folks rushing back to the gym at 3 weeks and 1 day only to spring a leak. I am committed to doing everything to avoid that being me.

Cognitively, I feel good. I have been working from home and pacing myself by limiting email time to 3 hours a day spread out over the course of the day. Too much hard analysis or lengthy conversation tires me out much more than I would like to admit. I still don’t feel comfortable laying against my incision. I usually sleep on my left side or on my back, but with a pillow under my right shoulder. With each day the incision feels better, but it is still uncomfortable if I lay against it. I’m also still taking 3 water pills a day for another 2 weeks and hoping that when I get to the end it’s going to be okay.

Tinnitus is generally much less to non-existent these days which is nice. My balance continues to get stronger. I will get random stabs of pain (maybe a 4-5) on the AN side or in that AN ear, but they come and go quickly. If I get stressed or over do it on my walk, I definitely feel it on the surgery side. I still can’t open my mouth as wide as before without some pain, but the range of motion is getting better.

All in all, I’m pleased with where I am right now. I’m trying to be cautious and will aim to give myself about 8 weeks before I engage in anything strenuous. Some doctors say 3 weeks is fine. Some say 4. Some say 6. I’ve seen reports of people springing leaks at all of those periods. I haven’t seen any beyond 8 weeks so that is my target. I read an interesting thread here about when it was safe to go back to having sex and some commentators asked if it was a man or a woman that they were answering for. I got a chuckle at that and realized that that activity certainly qualifies as one that is strenuous and involves my exterting myself so that’s on hold as well.

I hope this helps folks who are struggling with their decision making. I know that this site is filled with many stories that didn’t go well. I think mine went pretty well, and I’m happy to answer any questions.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

Shah_jl

Re: 2.5 Weeks Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:44:56 pm »
How freaky is it that we had surgery on the same day?? Same hospital, same doctors! I'll have to recheck my paperwork, but sounds like it was around the same time! Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz were so kind. I had to stay in the ICU a bit longer just because there weren't any rooms available. It was just my husband and I, and he stayed with me the entire time. It's now 4 weeks after, and I'm doing ok. I had Middle Fossa, AN was on the left side. They had to leave a portion behind to not destroy my facial nerve. I have mild facial weakness, lost my hearing in the AN ear but have tinnitus. No tears, no runny nose on left side, I'm doing liquid tears for now. Oh, and no taste on left side of my tongue, and still dealing with dry mouth. I still have discomfort in my jaw when opening my mouth wide and those shooting pains in my AN ear and head. I go to physical therapy twice a week to work on the balance, I laughed out loud at the "put one foot in front of the other" like walking on a tight rope. Not only can I still NOT do it, I can't even begin it! I can also only stand with my feet together, eyes closed for about 30 seconds, and it is an effort. I say it is so amazing that the tasks I do in physical therapy seem so simple, yet I am sweating when Im done and ready for a nap! Although restrictions are lifted, I'm still taking it easy. I love that Kris checks in and the doctors are always available for questions. Dr. Saliba has answered all of my questions and always ask how I am doing. I am glad to hear you are doing well.

JD808

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 10:21:11 pm »
What a coincidence! I agree that Dr. Saliba has been wonderful to work with on Dr. Friedman’s team as well. All in all, a solid group who care about their patients.

Abetpds

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:04:52 pm »
Its so wonderful to hear from you both. I too had the same team and my surgery was on June 26th. I stayed at Embassy suites for about 24 days and had to go in to see Friedman as JD did because of the intense pain.  Friedman did say that it was probably the spinal fluid settling -but did not give me any water pill.  He caved in to my insistence on refilling my Oxycodone prescription. That was the only thing that helped with my pain.  I started PT at SD and so when I got home I was in pretty good shape -balance wise - but the pain was still bad.  It's now almost 2 months post-op and I still have that pain that radiates from the neck into the head! Cannot sleep on the surgery side and once in a while I get that throbbing pain behind the ear - can actually see it moving. Lasts for about 4-5 minutes . Frequency has definitely decreased but the pain when it comes is bad.  I'm still taking tylenol which helps. To complicate matters I had Friedman put in the BAHA  which is now infected.  Wish I had not done it.  So saw a local ENT her in GA and he's put me on antibiotics.  I'm praying that it gets cleared or I may have to remove the BAHA - another surgery-Ugh!
Like you, I  have no tears in my left eye or nostril and no taste buds on the left side.  The part behind my ear and spreading out to the middle of the head is numb.   Still have pressure in the ear - do You?  Esp if I bend down. 
I really thought that after 4-5 weeks there would be no pain.  Some folks are so fortunate that they actually do not have pain after about 4 -5 weeks. I get depressed when I read some of the blogs here and see people dealing with pain even 2 or 9 years after surgery. 
Do please continue posting so we can learn from each other. 
Regna

JD808

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:33:21 pm »
Regina, I’m so sorry to hear about your pain and your Baha complications. I’m about 5.5 weeks out now and while I still get some random pain for 30-45 seconds or so on my AN side, I generally don’t have much pain. If I overdo it with aerobic exercise, I might get a slight headache for a few hours or my tinnitus might act up, but general pain has been good since going on the water pill Diamox. Today I officially started my taper off of the Diamox switching to 2/day instead of the 3/day the last 30 days. I will run with 2/day for a week and then down to 1/day for a week. I hope that once I’m done with those pills I will not have any recurrence of the pressure and pain.

I still haven’t tried sleeping on the surgery side, but I’m managing to lay for an hour or so flat which is a big improvement to where I was at before. Feeling is starting to come back to my surgery side ear and the skin around the incision. In addition, that muscle paid you get when laying on your side and you lift your head has lessened dramatically as my neck muscles have recovered and repaired from the surgery. My eyes are good, still have that metallic taste on the AN side of my mouth and I’ve noticed that I also get dry mouth on that side as well. Some Biotene mouth wash and gum has helped tremendously with that issue.

I’m still just focusing on walking as my main exercise right now, and if things are positive once the Diamox is finished I will begin working in some light weights and other activities. I consider myself tremendously lucky to have found such a great medical team, to have had the results that I have had to date, and I look forward to the slow and steady progress back to recapturing as much of my old life as possible.

Shah_jl

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 11:12:59 pm »
Hi Regina and JD,
I figured I would check back in to see how you were doing. Regina I hope your pain is starting to get better. JD I'm glad to hear things are progressing well with you. Painwise I still have the occasional shooting pains in my head and ear on my AN side. I still cannot sleep on my AN side, it still feels weird and tender, especially around my ear. My jaw is also still sore when I try to yawn. I still go to PT for my balance. It is improving every week. With school starting soon for my kids I am really ready to drive, but dont think I'm there yet. I still feel too unstable when turning my head quickly and want to make sure I'm fully capable of being safe while I drive. I'm still dry on the left side of my face, using liquid tears daily and biotene for my mouth. I'm getting used to the tinnitus, but when it gets aggravated, I'm equally Aggravated! I keep hoping my deaf ear will go silent, but no luck yet. I am supposed to return to work in the next couple of weeks and although I sit at the computer, I'm worried about the blurriness of my dry eye as well as the fact that I cant drive there. But maybe things will improve over the next 2 weeks. Wishing you both well!

JD808

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 11:18:38 pm »
Shah, thank you for the follow up. I’m almost 7 weeks now, and realized last night was the first night that the dry mouth on the AN side didn’t happen while sleeping. I had been using the Biotene mouthwash nightly, but forgot last night and woke to a normal mouth which was a huge surprise. I still have the metallic taste issue, but I’m hoping I have kicked the dry mouth challenge. I’ve also increase my exercise activities this weekend by resuming some surfing and standup paddle boarding. It felt great to get back in the water, but also a big reminder just how far out of shape I have fallen. I get fatigued quite quickly. As I’m healing I am also noticing more random tenderness or discomfort in the area of the incision and the metal plate in my head. It seems my body is still trying to get used to this new thing in me. I have about another week of Diamox water pills left and so far so good with the taper.

I’m back at work for 1/2 to 3/4 days and surprised how tired I get just dealing with people. SSD forces me to focus and really concentrate on what people are saying which is a good thing, but also tiring. By the end of the day, I’m beat. Still, I’m really pleased that things are going well, and I’m hoping for continued positive progress.

JD808

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 10:59:15 pm »
9 week update here.

Things improved dramatically in the past 2 weeks. I don’t recall exactly when, but within the last 2 weeks I remember waking up several mornings and feeling energized and almost normal. In addition, the exhaustion and need for a rest at the end of the day has also gone away at the same time that I have increased my activity levels. I credit my loving wife who has pushed me daily to get out and walk at least 2 miles for the speedy recovery. I will never be back to the old normal, but it sure feels great to feel good again.

The metallic taste on my AN side of my mouth is nearly gone now and most foods with the exception of any carbonated and anything with chocolate in it taste fine. This has helped greatly with putting some of the weight back on that I lost after the surgery. The random pain flashes have also dissipated to once or twice every few days. With greater energy, I continue to walk, lift some light weights (25lbs dumbells max), do light cardio, and have returned to surfing smaller waves. When I overdo it, my head gives me a little warning with some headache and discomfort and I back off. With cardio comes that same sense of fullness that I had before the surgery.

Balance is great, better than before, but I have discovered a few areas that surprised me. I went for my first hike yesterday to celebrate 9 months and discovered that I was far shakier going up the trail than I had anticipated. I really had to slow down and be deliberate about my steps. I almost turned back, but was glad that I kept on because the opposite was true coming down as I felt very sure footed. Odd. Walking at night with less than bright lights is a challenge that isn’t likely to go away.

I continue to sleep quite well at night, but not on the AN surgery side. I can manage laying on my back, but not on the surgery side. I guess that will come with time. The abdominal scar is healing, but the muscles under the incision are still tender as I discovered trying to resume some ab workouts. I still have some minor facial nerve tics on my AN side near my eye, but nothing to be concerned about and they are lessening as well.

In terms of brain fog, that has also improved significantly as my energy levels have rebounded. I would say I have about a 15% deficiency there and it is always in the late afternoon when I avoid important emails.

I have been taking CBD oil via oral Tincture since before the surgery as it helps with inflammation and is calming. Other than that, I am still trying to be cautious about overdoing things, but generally I’m very happy with where I am and lucky to have found such a great surgical team as UCSD.

notaclone13

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:50 am »
So glad to hear you are doing better each day and getting use to the new normal. Your posts give all of us hope and are uplifting. Please continue to give us updates. You are amazing and your positive attitude is no doubt assisting with with your recovery.