Author Topic: PeriMenopause/Hormone Replacement Therapy  (Read 3278 times)

PurrfectHappiness

PeriMenopause/Hormone Replacement Therapy
« on: June 22, 2018, 10:34:22 am »
Hi, Everyone:

I am a Newbie and this is my first post.  I was recently diagnosed with left side small AN (9x5x5mm) just a few months ago.  I’m still researching and am currently in W&W mode. Next MRI scheduled in 3 more months.

I am a 51 year old female and have been experiencing cyclical peri menopausal symptoms for years but now the symptoms have become constant and much more problematic. The hot flashes and night sweats are just awful and are disrupting my sleep as well as other symptoms.

I was recently prescribed Natural Hormone Replacement Therapy (Divigel/Estrogen) and (Prometrium/Progesterone) by an Integrative/Holistic OB/GYN MD.   She is aware of my AN diagnosis and advised that the timing is perfect for me to begin HRT (I am halfway to Menopause, have not had a period for 6 mos and counting).  She advised that the HRT would alleviate my awful hot flashes and night sweats and other bothersome symptoms and allow me to feel better and cope better with the stress of the AN diagnosis. 

I really want to feel better and get better sleep, have more peace of mind, etc.  It’s bad enough that I also suffer with AN balance issues and tinnitus...but that’s another separate subject!   :(

I am nervous about beginning this HRT program concerned that it may affect the growth of my AN.  I would like to research this and gather some feedback first.  I am contemplating waiting until after my next MRI which is a few months away. 

Does anyone have personal experience and knowledge on this issue?  I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Kind Regards to all.

notaclone13

Re: PeriMenopause/Hormone Replacement Therapy
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:08:21 pm »
Hi and Welcome,

Sorry you have to join our group, but we are a friendly bunch and all in the same boat.  In regard to the hormones, you are right to proceed with caution.  Dr. Stankovic's group at Harvard recently published a paper indicating that the drug mifepristone (which blocks the action of progesterone) may have the potential to inhibit AN growth (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-23609-7.) You can find it on the web.  It has also been observed that ANs frequently occur during pregnancy, and thus may be hormone driven.  Taken together, it may make sense to avoid taking hormones when one is female and has an AN.  Female hormones are obviously not the only factors that influence AN growth as evidenced by the the large number of males on this forum.   ANs appear to be an equal opportunity invader. You will find the forum posts to be a font of good information and camaraderie. Most of us have never met, yet we share a common bond that leads to support and friendship.

notaclone13

PurrfectHappiness

Re: PeriMenopause/Hormone Replacement Therapy
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:02:59 am »
Thank you kindly for your response Notaclone13.

There just isn’t enough information available or personal experiences shared that make me comfortable taking natural Estrogen & Progesterone to ease my awful peri menopausal symptoms.

Obviously being newly diagnosed (3 mos now) with an AN is my health priority and not knowing whether natural hormone therapy may have an impact (good or bad) on my AN is concerning enough to sway me against taking it.

I will just continue to suffer with the symptoms from “the change” and stay as positive and upbeat as I can while championing through it...same with also championing through symptoms of the AN.

Staying strong!  :)