Author Topic: Migraine treatments/Mal de Debarquement meds  (Read 11344 times)

nannettesea

Migraine treatments/Mal de Debarquement meds
« on: November 19, 2006, 12:05:45 am »
Hi,
I'm seeing a new neurologist on Monday and am going to propose we try some fast-acting, hard-hitting  injection type migraine meds.  Do you self-inject, and is it really painful?  From what I read from capt deb and others, they are doing Imitrex.   I tried Neurontin for only a few days, just made me feel fuzzy/woozy, and dizziness no better.

Has anyone had success with fast-acting, temporary migraine meds?  I wonder if they will help my system re-wire.  I can't seem to take the longer acting ones with extreme fatigue, which is  a killer for me.

I am temporarily off the Klonopin for MdDS in order to try migraine meds, but very hard.  When off the addictive meds, symptoms get much worse.

I'm trying to treat to multiple and hypothetical conditions, which makes it complicated.

Thanks,
Wench NN
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Migraine treatments/Mal de Debarquement meds
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 01:56:53 pm »
The injectible Imitrex I use is only available in the autoinjector in 6 g doses and I use 1 1/2 to 2g of it so I have to self inject. It really is a piece of cake. The first time is the hardest. I practiced on a squeezy ball that I use for my tennis elbow. I thought the auto-injector hurt worse than self injecting. I have a pretty tough hide from all the sun and seawater. It really is the best thing I've used for knocking back a headache and is really fast acting.  I used to use Zomig nasal inhalant, but it pooped out on me tha last couple times I used it, so I switched to the Imitrex. I'm weaning myself off the Neurontin, or at least going to a lower dose--I've been unable to get past the fatigue issues.

You will make progress with your balance between year 1 and 2, believe me.  Just stay active and keep walking.

Big Hugs,
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 04:11:14 pm »
Nan,

I use an oral dissolving medication, Maxalt 10mg. You take it at the first sign of a migraine (throbbing, behind the eye type). It works within 1/2 hour. It doesn't prevent migraines, just stops them. 

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:58:38 pm »
Nan: Over the past sixteen years I have tried many things for the post-op headaches.....the neurologist calls them migraines and tries the meds suitable for that but my neurosergeon says scar tissue headahes are different and that there's nothing that helps and so for I have found that to be true. I continue to try things but find nothing helpful except to go to bed and stay there until it's gone (something I can't do now that I have children).
I have been on antihypertensives and antidepressants, "old" migraine medications and new. Things that others have had help and they haven't helped me.
Best of luck and let me know of anything that helps
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 09:11:18 pm »
Thanks all for your input/info.  DD (I like Dirty Deb ;D), I was going to ask for injectable Imitrex, but he gave me the under-the-tongue dissolving type, only 2 to try.  He doesn't think it's useful for ongoing migraine, though, so will be trying Diamax--it has been helpful for migraine-related vertigo and Meniere's.

Will keep you all posted on if it helps....

I know, Capn, keep walking.  Though I feel like crap when I do, the oxygen in my blood is good, and I ultimately feel better. Plus, I've put on about 35 pounds.  Yikes.

hugs to all,
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

simonsch

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
Did any of yall develop these headaches after your surgery? I am now 4 weeks post-op and am still experiencing headaches. :(

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:49:23 pm »
Mine really kicked in at a few months post-op. There is alot of headache info on this site--if you use the search engind.  There is a thread called Post-op headache survey that is really good--just type it in the search bar.
Capt Deb

tony

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 01:15:41 pm »
Note Kathline Mc - I dont doubt you have the real Mcoy of a headache
But consider this - its unlikely post op reactions are still the cause
after so much time - maybe its time to rethink
One of the areas which has come to light in recent times is posture
basically if a "non-OP" sits at a desk wrong, or in a car with a seat
in the wrong position - they get a headache
The cause is undue spinal/neck strain - which leads to muscle tension
then poor blood flow, and then headaches.
Its quite possible if your sense of balance is not 100%, that you
(or any of us) are holding your neck/head to one side slightly
OK, short term - but in time - here we go again
So solutions
There is a clue that lying down sorts it out
One: any exercise which helps loose up the upper back/neck
will help - during this exercise, any sudden headaches and its time for the
physo to take a closer look
Something to do 2-3 times a week - gently at first
Two : try adjusting your posture more frequently
Kith and Kin may complain that you have become a fidget
but its in a good cause
Three : see if you can time the headaches - when do they start ?
ie just after the 9.00 news - the clue here might be that
you have sat on a certain chair etc too long
Good luck
and hoping for a drug free New Year
Best Regards
Tony

marjoryb

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 03:35:28 pm »
I think Tony has some good points about the neck muscles.   My headaches were very intense about a month ago to two months ago(which would have made it 3 to 4 months post-op).   I picked up a neck wrap that I can microwave -to warm it,  or freeze it - to cool it.    I've found that when I heat it up and put it on my neck that my neck muscles loosen up a bit and there is some relieve from the headaches;   I've been focusing on keeping my "core" erect when I walk, looking from side to side when I walk to get the vestibular system in gear  and keeping my neck muscles warm.   
The headaches still hit me though- at least once a day - and I'm constantly popping Advil.

Marjoryb

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 03:45:41 pm »
marjory--do a little research on rebound headache--from taking daily meds. I think some of my problems were caused by this.

http://www.stoppain.org/pain_medicine/content/chronicpain/rebound.asp

Capt Deb 8)

marjoryb

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 04:24:34 pm »
Thanks  Capt. Deb - the rebound headache information is VERY interesting.    Maybe I am just feeding a vicious cycle - by taking medication at the first sign of a headache.    And, as much as I'd like to say that my life is pretty stress free, it's not - I have a husband (enough said) and children (although they are out of the house, they are not without drama) and a job (with a new young  manager - need I say more?) and I'm still trying to make out what is "normal" after surgery for removal of an acoustic neuroma!!!.   Stress may very well be a contributing factor to my headaches.

Marjoryb