Author Topic: TV show 3lbs  (Read 6635 times)

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
TV show 3lbs
« on: November 17, 2006, 09:50:19 am »
Did any one see the new show 3lbs on Tuesday night ? kinda reminds me of the show "House" but with a group of neuro surgeons ... I found it interesting because they talked about Brain surgery and Gamma Knife .. (which they did not show in a good light)

http://www.tv.com/3-lbs./show/32737/summary.html
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Laura

Re: TV show 3lbs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 09:53:35 am »
I didn't see the show but I did see it advertised. I thought about watching it but then decided against it... I decided it best to take my daily dose of brain talk here on the ANA site... where opinions can be respected and appreciated.  ;D

Did you watch the show? How was it in general?
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 10:16:20 am »
I have it Tivo'd and have not watched it yet.  I thought that I ought to watch it, but might not like it :)
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 10:43:50 am »
I did see it, thought it was really good. Maybe hits a little too close to home though   :)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 01:19:43 am »
Hi Joe,

I was going to post on here about that show myself.  I didn't watch the whole thing, because I forgot about it...but tuned in right when they were talking about surgery vs. gamma knife.  I thought.."Well, this is interesting!"  They did say that GK was a perfectly good treatment, but not for the case that they were working on for this show, which made me feel like they were trying not to dis it too much.  I told my husband that this program would lose it's dramatic appeal if they did stuff with GK!  Not a lot of drama there, folks. ;D 

I wondered if anyone on here was watching it.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 05:18:52 am »
Hi

We don't have cable TV up here in the mountains, where we live. 

It is three in the morning on Sunday.  Now, I have one week from tomorrow for Stanford.

The counting down is getting easier :)

Pal
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 01:48:14 pm »
I posted a tidbit about the show somewhere--maybe in the GM thread? One of the brain surgeons called the Gamma knife doc a "glorified technician." Naughty naughty!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 03:26:35 pm »
Sorry I missed the premier... seems like this week's show (noted below) follows the same guidelines.... patient talked out of radiation to do microsurgery....wonder what kind of tumor they claim she has...and should we make the producers of the show aware of our existance?  Now THAT would be interesting.... will try to watch this week since it doesn't interfere with my Gray's Anatomy night

Phyl

Next episode: Of Two Minds
Hanson and his staff deal with a pregnant woman who has a brain tumor. Hanson wants her to follow a treatment plan that threatens the life of her unborn child, but the patient is determined to keep her baby. Although she refuses the radiation, she agrees to a complicated brain surgery that could buy her sometime. After the surgery, she discovers some unexpected side effects. Meanwhile, Dr. Seger discovers he is involved with the attorney of a man he's treating who has been accused of a violent crime.
Airs: Tuesday November 21, 2006
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 06:06:25 pm »
Yeah, surgery will always win out on this show!!  Radiation patients are boring ;D ;D
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 02:52:46 pm »
I saw '3 Lbs.' on tape as I've been too busy until last night to watch it .  It's a half-way decent medical drama with a cold-but- compassionate-deep-down 'genius' (late-40ish) neurosurgeon who can diagnose a brain-related problem when no one else can and his idealistic, young (early 30's - at best) assistant who is far more 'touchy-feely' and will likely act as ballast to his brilliant-but-dispassionate boss. Standard medical drama casting and plotting.  There is also an attractive female physician included in the mix (of course) and she seems to have a 'past' with the star, 'Dr. Hanson' (Stanley Tucci ).  She has a pleasant British accent, for whatever that is worth. 

We all know that the surgery vs. radiation conflict is basically a false premise but the writers obviously felt they needed it to generate drama between the radiation oncologist and the brain surgeon.  Hey, it's a TV show, not a documentary.  In fact, my neurosurgeon and my radiation oncologist worked together as a team on my 'case' and each had a sincere mutual respect for the others chosen field of medical discipline and individual abilities.  I did like the early scene where they showed an overlay on the young victims arm that traced the neurotransmitters from her brain to her fingers.  Informative.  The drama is O.K. and I'll probably watch this again, but probably on TiVo.

I have read that '3 lbs.' is quite similar to 'House'.  I've never seen 'House', so that comparison is irrelevant to me. 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 10:02:41 pm »
My husband and I watch "House".  It's great.  No doctor would ever get away with all the stuff Dr. House does, but that's what makes it fun, I guess.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

vcschaub

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 12:47:18 pm »
You can go to the following link and view full episodes of 3lbs. Just click the lower left button that says "watch full episodes".

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/3lbs
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:50:19 pm by vcschaub »
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear