Author Topic: 3 year follow-up after middle-fossa approach surgery  (Read 2218 times)

CatzEyes

• are we having fun yet?
    • Art for Art's Sake Gallery
3 year follow-up after middle-fossa approach surgery
« on: March 24, 2018, 01:55:51 pm »
Hello again, ANA folks --

I wanted to offer a check-in now that is is almost three years since my surgery in May 2015. I gave rave reviews to my surgeons at Swedish Neuroscience in Seattle, and I don't rescind them, but neither doctor practices there any more. Dr Delashaw is currently out of practice (the Seattle Times has the rather grim story), and Dr Backous practices in Edmonds http://www.pugetsoundent.com/, too far for me to drive. You can find my posts from that year here in the ANA forums and at CaringBridge https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lauracameron2.

The final MRI of 2015 showed some inflammation but no tumor; when tested in the fall, after surgical sludge was reabsorbed, I had retained more than 95% of my hearing in the surgical ear. Huzzah! But...

The summer of 2017 was a stressful mash-up of other peoples' (oh, no-one important: just my Mum and my husband) multiple medical issues and Extreme Makeover (Home Edition) projects. I ended up with bursitis, brought on by lifting-while-cataloging 1500-odd books in my Dad's collection and assorted gardening chores. (I had an MRI on my shoulder I don't ever want to repeat -- I'm sticking to my head!) Add physical therapy for me to everything else going on.

But by September, I knew my hearing was gradually but increasingly wonky in the AN ear. I chalked it up to excessive ear wax for a month or two, but no drops or flushing seemed to make a difference. It took a couple of months to see my PCP, get a referral to new ENT (yes, everyone associated with my treatment had vanished or retired), have an updated MRI, and go back to discuss it with the ENT. The practice tried to reconnect me with Dr Backous, before we gave up and Dr Jensen referred me to a new neurotologist at Virginia Mason, Dr Zeitler, in January of this year. The results and conclusions were underwhelming... 

The MRI apparently showed minor inflammation in roughly the same position as 2015, but no regrowth, nothing obviously damaged or disconnected. The good Dr Z and I can speculate forever on whether all 2017's stress and consequent systemic inflammation were sufficient to trigger Sudden Unexplained Hearing Loss, but that's what I've got... It isn't uncommon in people who have already had hearing/brain issues such as mine, but that doesn't make it less irksome or sad, after three years of near-perfect hearing.

Because my speech recognition was down by 48% compared to 2015, Dr Jensen has fitted me out with a trial hearing aid to see if we can boost the signal sufficiently to regain something in voice recognition zone. Fingers crossed, it seems to be helping -- at least the cats singing for supper is once again loud and clear. No one can say if my hearing is likely to decrease again suddenly or gradually, but at least now I won't be astonished by it, or attribute it to an excess of ear wax.

I'll post back the results of the hearing aid trial, brand and model selected, etc etc.

Best to everyone at ANA,
Laura
Middle Fossa surgery at Swedish, Seattle, Drs Delashaw and Bacchus, 5/5/14. Retained 98% hearing in surgical ear after 6 months recovery time.
diagnosed 3/15/14 :: 6mm x 4mm x 3mm AN in right ear.
mother diagnosed 3/2005 8mm; gamma knife 2007 at 14mm. some regrowth, pressing balance nerve, by 2012

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
Re: 3 year follow-up after middle-fossa approach surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:53:38 pm »
Thanks for the update. It is always good to hear about stories after...
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

robertweeks

Re: 3 year follow-up after middle-fossa approach surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 01:17:31 pm »
Yes, ditto that.  It hadn't occurred to me that one could save the hearing and lose it later on.  In my case the hearing is gone from the affected ear anyway.  But I appreciate your attention and sharing of your ongoing issues, and I am REALLY glad that you can once again hear the cats at dinner time.  Let's keep our priorities where they belong, after all!