Author Topic: Delayed facial droop after middle fossa?  (Read 3023 times)

chicagorose

Delayed facial droop after middle fossa?
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:35:29 am »
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I had middle fossa surgery on March 13th to remove AN on my right side. Everything was fine, no facial issues although I did have some serious balance issues. Upon discharge, there were still no facial problems, but the balance issues remain. I'll be going for vestibular therapy for that. Yesterday, 3/23 I started noticing a little bit of facial drooping especially when I try to smile.  Today, the facial drooping is a little more pronounced and I'm starting to deal with my right eye drying out. Is this something that happens? If so, why is there such a delay and what should I do about this?

Thanks,

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Delayed facial droop after middle fossa?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:00:46 pm »
Hi chicagorose .....

The facial and dry eye symptoms you describe could be related to a delayed post-op swelling.  However, you should definitely contact your doctor since it is a delayed event and increasing in severity.

Re: the remaining balance issues.  It takes quite a while for the brain to adjust to vestibular input only coming from one side.  Vestibular therapy is a good plan.  In the meantime, keep practicing walking in a safe place, like an internal hallway in your home where you can easily catch yourself.

Thoughts and best wishes,
Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 07:38:56 pm »
Were you on a steroid taper following discharge? I and many other patients were. Once the steroids stop, inflammation and swelling can start up. You need to contact your surgeon right away and get back on steroids. After my microsurgery a quick 2 weeks on decadron resolved my facial weakness completely. After my gamma knife, a month of decadron improved my facial weakness, but am still grade 2 on the paralysis rating system a year later. Delayed complications are more common than is generally known. If you start treatment quickly the weakness generally resolves favorably. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

chicagorose

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:13 am »
Were you on a steroid taper following discharge? I and many other patients were. Once the steroids stop, inflammation and swelling can start up. You need to contact your surgeon right away and get back on steroids. After my microsurgery a quick 2 weeks on decadron resolved my facial weakness completely. After my gamma knife, a month of decadron improved my facial weakness, but am still grade 2 on the paralysis rating system a year later. Delayed complications are more common than is generally known. If you start treatment quickly the weakness generally resolves favorably. Good luck

Hi LakeErie,

The steroid taper was discontinued a few days after surgery, so by the time I was discharged, I had been off steroids for a few days.

Greece Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:44:14 am »
I had that experience with middle fossa.  facial weakness started about 10 days or 2 weeks after surgery.  they put me back on a steroid and it got better over the course of a couple of weeks.  I think its pretty common.  my doctor told me that what you wake up with is usually what you end up with, so this post operative swelling is not necessarily a long term concern.  good luck.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 12:59:30 pm »
I had to stay on steroids for 6 weeks. Every time I would wean off of them, the swelling was intense and painful. Eventually it went away. I did have a leak which required another surgery at the same incision spot too though.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

Abetpds

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:50:52 am »
I am really concerned about after effects of surgery when you've traveled far from home for surgery.  I live in GA and contemplating doing surgery in San Diego with Friedman and Schwartz.  What happens if 2 months after surgery I develop symptoms as above -- its not practical to go all the way back to SD.  Any advise? 
Thanks  Regina

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:58:10 am »
Most symptoms would show up right away after surgery.     With the first few days.          The delayed ones are not as common.      It may seem like it on places like here as those with the unusual stay on are come on here.        You could let the surgeon know and he may give you answer or have you have a new MRI and sent to him.     He may also know of dr in your area to see you.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care