Author Topic: Non surgical options for large AN?  (Read 4318 times)

Cassia1

Non surgical options for large AN?
« on: February 25, 2018, 04:12:40 pm »
My husband has a 3.7 cm AN. He has no symptoms other than some tinnitus in one ear and very mild hearing loss. His symptoms are more of a nuisance than anything else. As he faces potentially life altering surgery, are non-surgical techniques *ever* done for a tumor this size? Thank you.

MGB

Re: Non surgical options for large AN?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:10:58 pm »
I’m sorry to hear about your husband. I have read you can not have radiation on a tumor larger than 3 cm, however, being your husband is basically symptom free maybe he can? My husband was diagnosed with 2.5 cm acoustic neuroma with also, a cyst attached 3 1/2 years ago. He had no symptoms either other than hearing loss. We found the tumor by fluke. Dr. Sisti (NYC Columbia) was the only neurosurgeon we visited that recommended Gamma Knife over surgery. All of the other doctors said the tumor was too big for radiation and they were also concerned about the cyst attached. Thank God we chose Dr. Sisti. My husband still has no symptoms other than hearing loss and full quality of life. It has been a little bit of a rollercoaster ride because his tumor died after radiation then grew back & now dead again with no additional treatment. He has a few more small cysts grow (not tumors after radiation) but he feels great!! Living with full quality of life other than hearing loss which he had before gamma knife. I would ask Dr. Sisti, being he has no symptoms maybe he can have Gamma Knife? Good luck!

Cassia1

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:19:10 am »
Thank you very much for yoir kknd reply. I hope yoir husband continues to experience improved health!

extropy

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 11:53:43 pm »
My husband has a 3.7 cm AN. He has no symptoms other than some tinnitus in one ear and very mild hearing loss. His symptoms are more of a nuisance than anything else. As he faces potentially life altering surgery, are non-surgical techniques *ever* done for a tumor this size? Thank you.

Hi Cassia1.
By chance I've read this paper about large AN. This is GK, not usual surgery.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1878875018306570

Of course, as far as I know, if the AN is both large and **cystic**, there are huge problems, at least with GK. There are several papers saying that GK is not safe, with **cystic**  AN, the AN would be recurrent, and also fast growing.

--Serafino (Rome, Italy)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:04:17 am by extropy »
2014 - at age 65 problems with left ear (tinnitus, imbalances, deafness, short-memory problems, etc).
2014 - MR found VS, 3.5 cm circa.
2014 - Exeresis, in Rome, RS approach,  followed by hydrocephalus ... and shunt.
2018 - AN has regrown, volume is 2.6 cm3.
2018 - GK (Humanitas, Milan)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 10:59:55 am »
Typically docs won't radiate an AN of more than 3 cms.

Surgery is the "preferred" treatment.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ANSydney

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:54:09 pm »
If you are symptom free, why not keep an eye on it for growth. It may no longer be growing. Given the size, you may have to be ready to quickly move if there is growth.