Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 5199 times)

TastyKakeman

• 2.0cm removed John Hopkins Dr Henry Brem .
« on: November 16, 2006, 10:50:22 am »
My name is Bob . Post-op 3 months. Trouble my left side of my face. My left eye is burning and dry.
Bob

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:39:07 pm »
Hello TastyKakeman,
  Welcome to the site.  Here's hoping your facial nerve issues improve.  Have you noticed any improvement so far?
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:48:30 pm »
Hi Bob, I'm almost 5 months post op, right facial paralysis, & eye surg. done 1 month post op, gold weight, lateral tarsal strip.  The best advice I can give is you MUST keep your eye moist to prevent corneal damage.  My favorite that I use EVERYDAY several times a day is REFRESH PM eye lubricant.  The drops didn't help as much.  If you can use drops, Systane is one of the best, it's thicker than others.    It's tougher to see because the lubricant makes everything blurry, but I've been able to adapt, even use it when driving (just drive a little slower, which is tough for me 'cause I'm one of those maniac drivers people hate!).  Good luck, Nancy
PS:  My opthomologist said I could use the Systane or Refresh as often as I needed to.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:48:45 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 01:05:23 pm »
Hi Bob and welcome to the group. I agree the best thing for your eye is making sure its never dry. I still have to use Lacrilube ointment at all times. Sucks that my vision is blurred but anything is better than the pain of dry eye.
There is lots of good support and info here so I am happy you found this site.  :)Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 10:21:06 am »
Welcome Bob! Lacrilube was my friend for a long time. Also try different brands of eye drops and lubricants if one doesn't work, another one might. Good luck
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Natalie

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 01:22:38 pm »
Hi, my name is Natalie and this is my first time to post a comment.  I have been reading through the various topics on this site both before and since surgery.  I am two weeks post op, trans lab approach.  I also am experiencing facial paralysis, expected to recover eventually.  Was wondering about the dry eye comments.  The last couple of days my eye hasn't bothered me as much, so haven't used the drops as often, as it helps me see better.  Am I in trouble if I don't use the drops continually?  What are your experiences with time frame for recovery from the paralysis?
Natalie
Natalie age 57
Trans lab  11/02/06
Dr. Gantz, University of Iowa Hospital
Total deafness right side, no balance problems
Right side facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 01:40:22 pm »
hi natalie - use the eye drops to keep your eye from becoming dry, 'burny', you want to prevent damage to the cornea.   
Everyone is different re: facial paralysis.  I've read on some posts that it's taken some people up to 2 years to get back movement, others in a much shorter time, weeks.  Me personally, I'm hoping for any sign of movement - my facial nerve was cut transversely(about 5 monthsw ago), it was severely damaged.  I'm having a repeat facial EMG in Jan., hoping for more signs that nerve fibers are coming back, otherwise i'll be scheduled for the hypoglossal anastamosis this Jan.    Most people have a good chance of facial nerve recovery, especially if it wasn't cut - depends i think on the damage to the nerves.  i'd ask my docs if i were you what they think the chances are of facial movement (hopefully they've told you something!).   Best wishes, nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kristin

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 02:16:52 pm »
hi from montana!

about 3 weeks after i got home from the hospital i saw my eye doc and he put in plugs in my drainage ducts in my eyes. it was (and still is) the most wonderful thing ever. i highly highly recommend it to anyone. it is even covered by insurance as it is medical and not vision related. i know i would have gone bonkers had i not gotten these "plugs".

kristin in montana
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

jts

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 11:04:05 am »
Hang in there.  As you can see from the various posts, no two of us are alike.  I am 5 months post op.  I had significant bruising to the facial nerve.  At first I had total paralysis of the left side.  I like to talk about my symptoms as a journey that has had numerous "stops" along the road to recovery.  First, balance was the challenge, then that switched to eye pain, then hearing loss, then tinnitus, then loss of sleep, back to balance and now the annoying thing is a runny nose and a tearing (crying) eye.  At the time that each item was at the forefront of my symptoms, it seemed like the worst was yet to come.  But, all of these things are gradually improving.  At this stage, I would say that if I never get any better, I can live with myself.  I'd like better balance, no tinnitus and to not have a drippy nose, but after reading what a lot of other folks have been through, I am just pretty happy that none of my conditions are debilitating. I have been very lucky - often the posts that we read are not very encouraging.  Progress can be slower than we want.  Just wanted you to know that at least some of us are doing OK!  I wish you the best.  John
58 year old male
Surgery June 8, 2006  Middle Crania Fossa
Dr. Bruce Gantz at Univ IA Hosp
13 months post op tinnitus AN side, mild unstable balance, slight lack of facial muscle control AN side, slight lisp, 10% hearing loss, eye and nose run when eating. Doing really well!