Author Topic: gold weight and MRI  (Read 12775 times)

Jill Marie

Re: gold weight and MRI
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 09:39:24 pm »
Joan,  Yes, there is usually someone with worse issues but that doesn't mean our issues don't merit concern and an occasional pity party, we still have to deal with things we certainly wish we didn't have to. 

Your eye has been gritty and you close it for comfort but the eye doctor says all is good?  You shouldn't have to close your eye to feel okay.  As you mentioned about the facial swelling, doctor seems to not know how to help with that, perhaps doesn't know how to help with your need to close your eye.  I could be wrong but it seems like it's time to check with another eye doctor.  Also time to look into a contact lens as you mentioned you are going to do.  It doesn't mean your eye doctor isn't a good doctor it just might be that the doctor doesn't usually work with patients like you.  I REALLY LIKE my first eye doctor but as he said, "I can't help you."

I can't help you with the facial swelling, never had that problem.

Goodluck, Jill ;)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Zan

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »
I have my first pot-surgery MRI schedule for Tuesday and mentioned it at my eye appointment today. The eye doctor said again “you can’t have an MRI” i asked him if the weight was actually gold, which won’t be an issue with magnetic forces and he said “well it’s not pure gold. I’m sure there is some medal.”  I called the imaging center back to confirm and they said that if the eye doctor said that,  I should not have an MRI, then they would not do it.
So frustrating. I called the eye doctor back to get the specific specs on the implant so that I can do some online research , but he hasn’t called me back yet.

alabamajane

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 07:59:58 am »
Is the eye doctor the same doctor who put the weight in? If not, ask the doctor who did,,,
Seems like the techs at the imaging center would be more concerned to look it up rather than dismiss you. Maybe call another of your doctors or a hospital imaging department to see if someone could answer the question,,,

I just personally don’t think your doctor is correct,,,, but I’m not a doctor so that’s just my 2 cents worth of advice  ::)

Call  today before you cancel test., ,, fact he hasn’t returned call says something! I think there are several of us that have had it done.
Good luck!!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Zan

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 06:30:58 pm »
Thanks for your reply Jane.
Yes, the doctor that I was trying to contact was the one who did the surgery. He is a good doctor, but a bit of a nutty professor and splits his practice between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, so he can be hard to reach.
I had just cancelled my appointment when his office called me back. They weren’t able to give me a model number, but did give me the manufacturer’s name (MedDev). I reached out to MedDev and they sent me their MRI safety information. It says that their implants are MR conditional.  Which means that there are some limits and I need to bring the info with me when I go for my MRI.
I was able to reschedule my MRI.

alabamajane

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 06:44:57 pm »
Good for you Zan.
I’m glad you are able to get the MRI rescheduled. . They are so important to us for follow up.

Good luck ,,,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Zan

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 04:17:02 pm »
I had my MRI and there were no problems. Yay!