Author Topic: Would you take a 50% risk for a 50% chance?  (Read 1190 times)

JaneK

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 14
Would you take a 50% risk for a 50% chance?
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:36:40 pm »

Hi all,

Here is a quick but loaded question:

Would you choose to remove a an today if it meant that you had a 50% chance risk of loosing your hearing today with the upside reward being that you also have a 50% chance of preserving your hearing long term (as opposed to waiting to gradually loose your hearing over time by waiting)?


dwilliams35

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 32
Re: Would you take a 50% risk for a 50% chance?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:39:37 pm »
Well, the way the question is phrased, isn’t that a 100% chance of losing the hearing (whether all at once now or losing it gradually later)  vs. a 50% chance of recovery?  If that’s the case, I’d have to lean toward the surgery.
Diagnosed 2-2017,  GK 10-2017.

dwilliams35

  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 32
Re: Would you take a 50% risk for a 50% chance?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:27:15 am »
But that wasn’t the question.
Diagnosed 2-2017,  GK 10-2017.

Kathleen_Mc

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 769
Re: Would you take a 50% risk for a 50% chance?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 04:07:23 am »
A loaded question it is.
My questions: 1. Is the tumor growing ?
                     2. For how long has it been observed ?
                     3.  Current size ?
                     4. Symptoms?
                     5. Is there indication other nerves are being affected other than the auditory nerve?
                     6. Are you aware of all the potential "losses" involved in having surgery ? ( and I ask as for some people loosing hearing in one ear is the least of their worries when the wake up from surgery).

 
To my way of thinking  there is so much more to be considered beyond that of attempting to save hearing.

Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

ColleenS

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 106
  • Do not fear, for I am with you. Isaiah 41:10
Re: Would you take a 50% risk for a 50% chance?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:04:55 pm »
I would do it again. As Kathleen mentioned there are so many circumstances that you have to take into account. And each case is different. For me, my brain stem was involved and the bigger it would become, the bigger the problem. Loss of hearing was a minimal side-effect. Thank God we all have two ears :)
Surgery date 5/2/2017 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless. Love them :)
Success: removed 99.9% of tumor; no facial issues
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, had a lumbar drain inserted; CFL repair surgery on 5/14/17 and sprung on 5/15/17.

Echo

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 397
Re: Would you take a 50% risk for a 50% chance?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 04:03:03 pm »
I couldn't agree more with all the points Kathleen makes.  While no one wants to loose their hearing, when you do your research and realize all the risks you face with either microsurgery or radiosurgery, hearing loss drops to the bottom of my most concerned list. I think Kathleen's point #6 is well worth reading again and giving serious thought to - not because I want to raise fear or anxiety for anyone, but because it's a common sense well thought out question.

6. Are you aware of all the potential "losses" involved in having surgery ? ( and I ask as for some people loosing hearing in one ear is the least of their worries when the wake up from surgery).

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

 


anything